Alfred's Daughter (Sihtic x Reader)

Your gown flowed gracefully as you walked through the halls of your kingdom. You matched your father's footsteps, being sure not to fall behind. He had said that there was an urgent meeting he needed you to attend with him. You were unsure why he needed you. Normally, he'd have your sister do these things.

Though you and Aethelflaed were the same age, you were not twins. Truthfully, you weren't blood sisters either. Back when Alfred had to flee to the marshlands, he had found you. With no home or family, the king decided to take you in as his own. However, because you weren't of his true royal blood, he often failed to include you with royal family matters. You were grateful nonetheless to be his adopted daughter. He could have left you to die all those years ago.

You returned from your thoughts as you entered the beautiful court yard. The sun blinded you momentarily as your eyes adjusted to the brighter light. Two Danes entered from the other side. You recognized them. It was Uhtred and Sihtric. Your eyes traveled to your father. You were trying to piece together what he was planning.

"Lord Uhtred and Sihtric," Alfred began, "I called you both here today because I have realized there is one thing as king I have failed to do. I need to right that wrong."He held his hand out towards you, your signal to step forward. "You both know my daughter y/n, I'm sure."

You curtseyed before the two men in front of you. Uhtred smiled kindly at you before averting his gaze back to your father. Sihtric did the same, but admittedly, his eyes remained on your figure for a second longer.

Uhtred laughed a little. "Surely you do not wish for us to marry her, I am a married man and Sihtric here... What can we do for you Lord King?"

The younger Dane moved to jokingly punch his friend in the arm, but quickly stopped when he remembered his formal setting. This correction seemed to please Alfred, so he continued. "The rest of my children have all had training in sword fighting since they were little. My dear y/n here has yet to receive any lessons. I admit it is my fault. I am over protective of her and only wish the best for my adopted daughter."

"However, since she is now of age to be married, I see it only fit for her to learn some type of defense. There may come a day when her husband is away at battle and she needs to know how to remain safe. I was hoping one of you could teach her, since you both know how to fight as Danes. This will ensure her own protection if a Dane tries to hurt her."

Sihtric quickly bowed. "Yes, my lord. It would be the upmost honor to assist you in any form."

You blushed slightly. Truthfully, you wanted to laugh at how awkward he was being. It was charming in a way. "Please, no need to bow, Sihtric." You smile brightly at him as he corrected his posture.

Uhtred and Alfred shared a smug look, knowing there was an instant connection between you two. Alfred had always known of your secret attraction to the Dane, he saw the way your demeanor changed when Sihtric came around. Lady Aelswith would never allow it. She saw it as a disgrace to marry a pagan. So, your father said nothing to his wife about it.

"Well then, you shall get started right away. Y/n to your quarters. Change into something befitting the occasion." You nod to the king and hastily walk away as ordered. "Thank you for volunteering so quickly, Sihtric. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you fancy my daughter."

The quiet warrior blushed, at loss for words. This humored the lord king as he exited the courtyard. Uhtred placed a firm hand on his friend's shoulder. "What is wrong? Has her beauty stolen your tongue?"

The younger Dane pushed his friend in the shoulder. "I do not find you humorous, Uhtred. She is the king's daughter. There is no way she will have me."

"I do not know, Sihtric. Since she is the adopted daughter of Alfred, he may allow you to marry her. It is the lady Aelswith who may have a problem with it." Uhtred clapped his friend on the shoulder. 

"What would I do with a princess? I am a warrior and a Dane. She will not have me." 

"Something tells me you have a chance with y/n. Just don't let her beat you too bad when you're training today." Uhtred chuckled and exited the courtyard. 

~~~~~

You held the handle of your wooden blade uneasily. Aethelflaed teased you as she walked by for being so nervous. If it weren't for your father standing nearby, you would have said a smart remark back. Truthfully, it wasn't the weapon that was giving you a hard time, it was Sihtric. You didn't want to embarrass yourself in front of him, and yet here you where fumbling about. 

He smiled reassuringly at you. "Lady, I assure you the weapon won't bite. The blade is wood afterall." He placed his hand over yours, steadying your grip.

"Maybe I am not fit for this weapon or to fight at all." You sigh and lower your head to hide your blush. "It is much too bright out for me to concentrate."

Your teacher shook his head. "Something tells me it is not the weather that troubles you, Lady y/n." He says low enough for only you to hear. 

As soon as his guard was down, you pushed him onto the ground roughly. His mouth, along with everyone else that was watching, fell agape. "Deception is a great tool, Sihtric. The damsel in distress role will work every time."

"That would not fool the Danes."

"Did it not fool you, lord?" You quickly shoot back at him. "Or are you not a Dane?"

Alfred nodded in approval and left the scene with his entourage, leaving you two alone. He lend him a hand to help him up. Admittedly, he was a lot closer to you than you hand expected once he stood. 

"Lady, forgive me if this offends you," he began, looking between your eyes and your lips, "I cannot help but feel drawn to you."

You take a step closer to him. "It offends me not, lord."

"Will you allow me to kiss you?" He asks hopefully.

Instead of responding, you close the gap. You kiss him softly. You had been waiting months for this opportunity. It appears he had been too, since he wasted no time kissing you back. Suddenly, you elbow him in the side and point your fake sword at him.

"I do believe I am two for two, despite you saying that my tactics would never work." You smile mischievously. 

He pushes the wooden blade away from his face. "It only works because I am blinded by your beauty."

You swing the sword at him again. "It is either that or the fact that I already had previous training in fighting before my father adopted me. What he doesn't know won't hurt him."

Sihtric laughed and snatched the weapon from you. "Lady, if that is the case, why beg your father to have one of us train you?"

"Two reasons really. One, to get better at fighting." You ran a hand up his arm. "And the second was in hopes of getting closer to you."

He swooped you into his arms and kissed you again. "We could get in trouble if the king finds out about this."

"The king already knows. It is my mother you should be afraid of." You comment. "I'll see you tomorrow. Same time and place?" You steal the training sword back from him.

He nods with a wide smile. You walk away as he heads in the opposite direction. Peeking over your shoulder, you see his guard was down. You threw the wooden carved weaponry at his back. He jumped as it collided with his body. Whipping around, he was met with your grinning face.

"I do believe that now makes three times, lord."