Chapter Six

It didn't take long for the four of them to fall into a routine. Every week, Dean would take Cas out into town for supplies, teaching him a few things about self defense along the way. Cas was actually a strong fighter, but he wasn't as good at defending himself as he was at punching people's lights out. While they practiced defense and gathered food and other supplies day after day, Sam and Jack worked on cleaning the house, painting demon traps, and Sam even taught Jack how to cook different meals over a fire. It had been two months since they left the bunker, since the undead dropped off the face of the planet. Dean was hesitant to say it, but he was actually happy for once. Cas and Jack were two amazing people who fit right in with Sam and Dean. They worked well together, the four of them, which made everyone's life easier. Dean was used to it being him and Sam, which wasn't always easy. Now, living was a walk in the park.

    Dean thought it would get easier, being around Castiel. He thought those feelings in his chest would fade, that his face would stop turning a deep shade of red at the sound of Cas' voice. He thought he would be able to talk to him normally, even as Cas walked around the kitchen without a shirt on when laundry day came around. Dean swore those feelings were only because he hadn't been around anyone since before the apocalypse, but he was wrong. He still blushed when Cas laid down beside him at night on the cold living room floor. He held his breath when Cas' hand brushed past his own when they walked into town together. His heart beat hard against his ribcage when Cas practiced his self defense moves on him, sometimes shoving him up against a wall, or wrapping him in some kind of hold. It was something Dean realized he wasn't going to get over. He was attracted to Cas, whether he liked it or not. Would he ever admit that out loud? Never. Not willingly, at least. It wasn't much more than attraction, anyways. It had only been two months since they met, so he was sure that was all it was.

    Today was another routine supply run, just like the past two months. Dean scarfed down his breakfast that Jack worked so hard on this morning, drank half a bottle of water, and started gearing up for the run. Cas had eaten his breakfast outside with Jack, the two of them sitting together on the rusty porch swing. Sam was with them too, leaning against the wooden railing that looked moments from snapping under his weight. Dean appreciated how comfortable they all were now, but he didn't particularly feel like conversating this morning. He didn't get much sleep last night. Every sound he heard from outside reminded him of the monsters out there waiting to rip their flesh off. He laid awake all night, torn between listening to the imaginary sounds, or Cas' soft snores from beside him.

    "Dean?" Cas' voice startled him, the knife in his hand clattering to the floor. Dean sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose before turning around to face the angel. "Sorry, I thought you heard me come inside," Cas apologized, taking a couple steps closer, kneeling to pick up the discarded knife at Dean's feet. He handed it back, waiting for Dean's fingers to wrap around the hilt before dropping his hands back to his sides. "Jack was asking about you. He's worried because you've been quiet since yesterday after you saw that vampire."

    Dean closed his eyes, the lump in his throat preventing him from speaking. He replayed the scene in his head. They were outside the house, basking in the cool night time air. Jack had caught a firefly in his hands, marvelling over the golden glow coming from the bug. Castiel and Dean stood side by side, laughing at the kid. Sam was across from them, desperately trying to catch more to add to the jar.

    That was when Dean heard it. It was faint, but after years of being on edge, the sound of the twig snapping caught his attention easily. He had looked up, eyes locking with another pair of dark, beady eyes across the street. The figure lingered in the shadows, watching them, as if Dean couldn't see him. When it stepped out into the pool of moonlight shining down on the empty street, it bared its teeth, revealing what it was. Dean immediately drew his machete, pushing Cas behind him to go after the damn thing, but as soon as it saw Dean was prepared to cut its head off, it took off into the safety of the forest again. Dean ran after it, chasing it for nearly an hour before he had to give up and return home. It was for that reason, he couldn't sleep for even a second. What if that thing came back and Dean wasn't awake? What if he wasn't prepared to hack it's head off and it somehow got to Cas first? Dean would never be able to live with himself. He knew that thing was out there and it was only a matter of time before it came after them.