Chapter Twenty-one

TW: homophobic slur used in this chapter 

John was leaning against the doorway in the main room as Dean entered to meet him, saying something to Charlie about incoming supplies for medical. Charlie stood across the room, smiling politely as Claire cowered behind her, arms wrapped around herself in defense. John didn't even seem to notice her, and if he did, he said nothing. He finished his sentence before his eyes flicked over to Dean, expression unreadable. Dean had known this man his whole life, yet he still couldn't decipher some of his looks.

"Dean," he greeted with a small head nod. His eyes traveled to Dean's shoulder and he perked up a little bit. "Are you cleared to get back to work?" he wondered, gesturing to the arm that was in a sling just yesterday when John saw him at dinner.

Dean glanced at his shoulder, rolling it slowly to feel the soreness. "Yeah, tomorrow," Dean said, keeping his voice level. John gave an approving hum as he smiled. Dean walked farther into the room, looking back at Charlie and Claire with a reassuring expression. "Charlie, why don't you and Claire go keep Cas company?" he suggested, nodding his head towards the other room where Dean had left Cas, only after Cas promised not to come out and get between Dean and his father.

Claire looked like she was going to argue, but Charlie wrapped her arm around Claire's shoulders and dragged her away against her will. Once they were out of sight, Dean took a deep breath, preparing himself for the hell that was about to break loose. He turned back to face his father, putting on a stern look as John watched him carefully, his arms crossed.

"I've been meaning to find you, actually," John started, before Dean could work up the courage to call him out. "I want to have dinner tomorrow at Bobby's place. You and Jo have been seeing each other long enough for it to be serious. I think it's time we talk about it."

Dean wasn't sure what there was to talk about, but he knew he couldn't disagree. He could only stand up to John about some things, like the lives of innocent girls at stake. Standing up to him about this- about not really being with Jo, that would have to be some other time. "I'll think about it," Dean said, standing up a little straighter. "There's something I wanted to talk to you about, too," he added. Now there was no going back. He had to say something, even if it was going to get him into trouble. John had never held back before, so Dean prepared for a blow to the face after he said the next thing. "Claire told me her friend, Kaia, left town a couple days ago."

John narrowed his eyes at Dean, then glanced back at the door to the room Claire had disappeared into. "So I heard," he replied calmly, eyes gradually drifting back to Dean. "What does that have to do with you?"

Dean swallowed down his nerves. "Dad, come on," Dean pushed, refusing to break eye contact even though he felt like throwing up. "You know something. Kaia wouldn't leave her friends behind without so much as a goodbye. If you know what happened to her-"

"What the hell are you trying to say?" John cut him off with a sharp glare, his voice raising enough to make Dean's heart start hammering against his chest. His mouth went completely dry as John shifted to stand up straight. "You think I would do something? What reason would I possibly have?"

"You tell me," Dean replied, clenching his fists at his sides. John could deny it all he wanted, but Dean could see it in his father's eyes. He was being far too defensive. Dean had seen this before, years ago, but he remembered the look in John's eyes. The day Dean got back from his year spent away from Sammy. John had looked past Dean, right into Sam's eyes, with the same excuse. You think I would hurt your brother, Sam? And of course, because Sam was so easily trusting and Dean couldn't defend himself, the kid actually believed it.