chapter twenty eight

April

-Anna pov-

"Okay, Ethan!" Our musical teacher calls out. "You're going to look Sky up and down, amazed at her transformation, then you both say your lines and we break into the last dance number!"

Ethan nods, his hands holding Sky's. His hair was pulled back by a bright pink headband since he claimed "his hair got into his eyes during the dancing numbers" Sky let him borrow it.

They're adorable.

I watch from the theater seats as they practice their lines, Ethan instantly becoming Danny.

I'll never get over how well he can take a character and actually become that character so well that you would think they stepped out of the script. The musical teacher calls the rest of us up to learn the last dance number, complete with singing.

By the end of "You're the one that I want" I'm sweaty and tired. We take a water break before we have to do it all over again. I grab my phone as I take a gulp out of my water bottle.

4:15
Grayson
We're going out tonight

4:18
Me
oh really?

4:18
Grayson
I'll pick you up at 7, wear something nice

4:19
Me
ok mr bossy pants

4:19
Grayson
haha
See you soon

I smile, putting my phone down. I wonder where we're going.

-Grayson pov-

I have no fucking clue where I'm taking her. I don't even know why I texted her.

Well actually I do know why I texted her. But I don't know why I sent the text.

All I know is that I was feeling a bit lonely when I got home. And I missed her. I missed Anna. Granted, I had seen her a couple of hours earlier but I can never seem to get enough of her presence. I could be around her the rest of my life and never grow tired of her.

We had agreed to fake date. To act like a couple in front of others and have an occasional hook up if we both needed it.

But we never agreed to go on dates.

I sent the text anyway. Wanting to see her. To talk to her. To simply be with her.

I told her to wear something nice because I wanted to see her in a dress again, she looked so good at the party.

Natalie always overdressed. Too much makeup, the highest heels possible, the fanciest clothes. Anna always dressed to feel good about herself, never to impress anyone like Natalie.

That's one thing I love about Anna. She doesn't care about what others think about her. Especially when it comes to her appearance.

She wears what she likes and what makes her feel the most comfortable, not what others expect of her.

She's true to herself.

After careful consideration I decided to take her to a fancy restaurant, something I know has always been on her bucket list.

I get dressed in a blue button down and black dress pants, making sure to not wrinkle them. I do my hair and put some cologne on-but not too much since I know that the smell can make Anna sick.

(a/n as soon as I wrote "blue button down" I pictured this....)

I check the time on my watch, realizing that it's 6:45 so I should get going

I check the time on my watch, realizing that it's 6:45 so I should get going. I walk out of my room, but as I pass Ethan's room I hear a female giggle coming from behind the closed door.

I freeze in my tracks, knowing that I had a chance to meet his girlfriend.

I shake my head and walk downstairs, grabbing my keys and calling out that I'll be back later. I go out to my car and quickly drive to Anna's, wanting to be a little early. I park in her driveway and get out of the car, walking up the sidewalk.

I barely knock once on the door before her mom is opening it. "Grayson!" She leans forward to hug me, patting my back. "It's so good to see you!"

"It's good to see you too."

She pulls away, a big smile on her face. "Anna is upstairs but she'll be down in a few minutes. Come on in." She waves me inside.

I close the door behind me and follow her into the living room, taking a seat on the couch. She rambles about how long it's been since she's seen me, and how big I've gotten, and how happy she is that I'm taking Anna out on a date.
I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and I stand, peering around the corner.

Anna comes walking into my sight, a slight smile on her face. Her hair is straightened, a few pieces pulled away from her face. She wears a dark red dress with a criss-cross back. She has a silver necklace on with matching earrings the glimmer when light hits them just right.

She looks stunning.

I hold out my hand. "Ready?"

Her hand perfectly fits with mine as she takes it. "Yes."

We say our goodbyes to her mom and walk out to my car. I open the door for her and soon we are on our way.

"So, where are we going?" She lightly squeezes my hand.

"You'll see."

"Grayyy." Anna whines.

"Annaaa." I mock.

She playfully rolls her eyes. "Fine, but their better be good food."

"Are you doubting me?"

"No."

"Yes you are!"

"I'm not!" She shoved my shoulder. "Just drive, I'm hungry!"

-Anna pov-

As soon as Grayson pulls up to the restaurant I know that it's super expensive.

"Gray-."

He shushes me. "Don't worry about it, I'm paying."

"But-."

"Nope, we are not discussing it."

"Fine..." I smile softly, I've always wanted to have dinner at an expensive restaurant.

He opens my car door, taking my hand and leads us inside. The hostess immediately seats us and we order drinks.

He holds my hand over the table, lightly rubbing up and down with his thumb. We sit in comfortable silence, occasionally making eye contact.

Grayson suddenly speaks up. "Do you want to go to prom with me?"

My eyes meet his. "Are you sure? You don't want to go with anyone else, I mean it is our last prom and-."

"I want to go with you Anna." He interrupts.

I smile. "Yes."

"You'll go with me?"

"Yes, of course I'll go with you!"

His face breaks out into a huge smile. "I thought so."

End of chapter 28

sorry about how choppy this is, I wrote it super fast