chapter sixteen

(a/n TW: physical abuse)

December

-Anna pov-

Grayson drops me off at Mae's door and speeds off, not offering any goodbyes. I wipe more tears off my face, trying to look presentable. I knock on the door and hear footsteps approaching. Mae's dad opens the door.

"Oh! Hello Annalise, I didn't know you were coming over."

"Hi, Mr. Teller is Mae home?"

"Well, yes but-."

"I just need to have a quick word with her."

He looks behind me. "I'm sure that would be fine." he steps aside. "She's in the basement."

"Thank you." I quickly walk past him, my footsteps echoing on the marble floor. I pass through the entry hall and into the huge kitchen where the basement door is. Mae's family is loaded, both of her parents have big-paying jobs and come from money. But she's never acted as she comes from money. She rather go thrift shopping than have a closet full of designer clothes.

As soon as I open the basement door I can hear that she's talking to someone. Her soft laugh fills the room. I contemplate leaving but ultimately decide to at least go tell her I'm here. Worst case scenario I sit in her room while she finishes whatever she's doing with her guest.

I take a few steps. "Mae?" My voice wobbles, as I call out her name. Exhaustion finally taking over and the shock of everything that's happened tonight starts to set in.

The talking stops.

"Anna?!" Mae appears at the bottom of the stairs. "What are you-." She notices the look on my face. "Oh my god, what did he do?"

And like every good best friend she knows exactly why I'm crying. She hugs me tightly, rubbing my back. I try to hold my tears back, but a few slip through.

"I-I'm sorry I know you have someone over.."

"Shh, no he won't mind. You're more important."

"Wait." I pull back. "He?!"

A familiar brown-haired boy appears behind Mae. "Hey, Anna."

I quickly wipe my eyes, surely making them even redder. "Mark?! What are you doing here?"

Mae glances at him. "We were just getting to know each other...Now come sit down and tell me what happened between you and Jacob." She gently grabs my wrist and leads me over to the couch.

I numbly sit down, wondering how tonight could get even crazier.

"Mark, I'm sorry Anna needs me...I'll text you."

He gives me a worried look, definitely knowing that my tears were from his best friend. "Yeah, yeah no problem." He takes a step toward the door before turning around. "And Anna you know you can talk to me, right? About Jacob?"

I nod, not trusting myself to speak.

He sighs and waves listlessly before swiftly making his way up the stairs. Mae waits till we hear the basement door close to ask me what happened.

I open my mouth to speak but the words don't come. "C-can we just watch a movie? Preferably a rom-com?"

She bites her lip nervously. "Yes, but tell me whenever you're ready to talk about it. I'll pause the movie at any point."

"Okay."

-Grayson pov-

Ethan walks in the front door with a ridiculous smile on his face.