Chapter 18

Two weeks after Renegade's talk with Batman, Batman assigned the team a mission. They were supposed to be doing a reconissance mission in an abandoned warehouse just outside of Gotham where there was suspected villain activity.

Renegade was supposed to be going with them.  Over the last two weeks, Renegade had been avoiding everyone, only just barely managing to be polite to them. He already suspected who was in the warehouse. All he had to do was open his mouth to confirm his suspicions.

But of course, where would the fun be in that?

So now he was sitting g at the back of the flying red Martian ship that is supposedly called the bioship. It is absolutely lame by the way. Renegade opened the window and, ignoring everyone's shouting, crawled out of it, lengthening his nails to sharp talons and dug them into the hard surface.

Renegade laughed as he sat on top of the ship. He looked out front and noticed that the warehouse was ahead and they would be landing in twenty minutes or so. Nice.

Once they landed:

Renegade's lip twitched in the lingering smile as he slid down the side. He heard the faint laughter of his uncle and called out. "Are you insane like me?"

An answering call sounded back. "Been in pain like me?"

A bat came flying at Renegade's head and he ducked with a smile and threw his arms around the attacker. "Mom!"

"Renegade! Oh Darling! Are they treating you well?" He scoffed at Harley's question and turned his head to the side showing off the shock collar. "I-IS THAT A FUCKING SHOCK COLLAR?" She screeches.

"They have shocked me for no reason five separate times and they can not seem to stay out of my head." Renegade ranted.

"Renegade!" Aqualad called sharply. "Get away from the enemies!"

Renegade turned to him with narrowed eyes. "I am not even doing anything! Can I not talk to my family?" An audible zap sounded and Renegade's jaw clenched shut against it.

A gunshot sounded and the Atlantian was shot in the hand. He dropped the remote with a scream. Kid Flash sped over and picked it up and was about ready to turn up the dial but a voice stopped them. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You may be a speedster but you will not leave with everyone alive. Turn off the collar." Renegade turned and noticed Shadow.

"S-S-Sh-a-a-d-dow!" The acrobat said between jolts.

Shadow nodded in his direction, not saying anything and keeping his eyes on the heroes. Renegade started to sway, with a gurgled coo.

"I thought heroes didn't resort to murder. You are killing him." Joker laughed, his concern for his nephew in everything but blood hidden.

Kid Flash hesitated. "KID! TURN IT OFF OR I WILL SHOOT YOU!" Artemis shouted, bow drawn and ready to fire.

"Why Artemis?" Superboy asked.

Her lip curled in a snarl. "Because he is my brother. Something you would never understand."

Miss Martian just floated awkwardly above everything. Renegade collapsed finally and Artemis's eyes widened before she shot the arrow at Kid Flash who was so shocked that she actually did what she said she would do and dropped the remote with a yelp. She lunged for it and clicked it off before tossing the remote to Harley. "Take him and go!" Joker picked Renegade up gently but quickly and started to run away, Harley and Shadow following after a few seconds.

"Stop!"