Chapter 3

Just as I had expected, Cameron is sitting in the seat next to me when I enter the class. As I sit down, Cameron makes eye contact me and grins at me.

"Hey stranger."

"Hello." I reply, as I roll my eyes.

"You seem happy today."

"Yup." I shortly reply.

He turns to face his body towards me as he says, "Why do you keep avoiding me? What have I done wrong? Is it something I said? Something I did? Just tell me because I've been trying to figure it out for the past week but I still don't know."

"I've been avoiding you because every time we speak, it always ends in an argument and I'm sick and tired of arguing with you."

"I know, and I'm sorry it always ends like that. I don't mean it to, I'm just not good as expressing my feelings, but look," he says as he lifts my chin whilst wrapping his other hand around both of mine, stopping them from shaking, before he continues, "it's not the same with you. My words probably don't make sense half the time because I'm not as smart as you, but what I'm trying to say is I really like you, and I want to try this, whatever this is." He says as he waves his free hand between us.

"I don't believe you."

"You should. Don't you want to believe me? Don't you want to try this?" His brows knit together on his last question.

"Yes, of course I do. It's all I've ever wanted to do since the day I first laid my eyes on you. But we are a mess. You and I are completely opposite people. You go to a party every weekend, whereas I hate parties. You like to drink, whereas I hate it, never have drunk alcohol and I intend to keep it that way. You're outgoing, and popular, whereas I'm shy and awkward."

"Have you ever heard of the phrase, opposites attract? That's us, you know how I feel about you, and I know you feel the same way. I can tell by the way you're looking at me, and how you always look at me, even when you pretend you're not, but I know you are because I'm always staring at you."

"How do I know you're being genuine though? How do I know I can trust you? Why would you like me anyways? I'm probably not even your type."

"Why wouldn't I like you? I admit, you're not my usual type, but there's something about you which makes me unsure of what my type actually is. And if you gave me chance to show you that I mean every word, then we can make it work and we can be together. I'll prove to you that I can be good enough for you, and you for me."

I raise my eyebrows at him, unsure whether to believe him or not. I've met boys like that before. They pretend to be interested in you, but when your feelings become stronger and stronger, they turn around and say it's all a joke. But it would be wrong of me to jump to conclusions about Cameron before getting to know him properly.

And I'm already in too deep to resist it.

"You know we're going to end up together anyways, we always find a way back to each other one way or another. It's inevitable."

"Yeah, you have a point." I admit, while probably underthinking the whole situation.

"Is that your way of saying yes to me taking you out for dinner after school?" He asks, grinning from ear to ear. As I look down at my hands in my lap, I see he has his fingers crossed behind his back.

"Yes, I'll go out with you tonight." I say and smile at the boy who may just break my heart but for once, I want to give him a chance and who knows, it may turn out differently than the other times.

I sure hope so. I don't think I can deal with losing anyone else after my mother died shortly after my father's engagement.

And the lesson carries on like that. Us discussing our plan for the night, and being shushed for most of the lesson by the other classmates, whilst I was apologising and Cam was smirking.