part 4

"The sound of my own voice would surprise me, remind me, that I wasn't a ghost floating through the city going unnoticed. I was there, just silently disconnected,"

Lili Reinhart

I fiddled with my backpack strap as we waited for the bus to arrive. Ethan and Maya were going over different types of plays, we've won countless times against the Salvatore Boarding School before, but you could never be too careful.

Then all of a sudden I felt someone tap my shoulder softly, I turned around to see Hope with a sheepish smile on her face.

"Hope? What are you doing here?" I asked, a small smile matching onto my face.

"Ethan and Maya practically cornered me and asked if I could play. Plus I'm close to Principal Saltzman, so he kind of forced me into it," she explained and I gave Maya and Ethan a look who pretended not to listen to the conversation.

"We just thought that since Hope is new to Mystic Falls High that she should be a part of one of the best events at our school," Maya tried to save them, but in reality I know why they asked her, "Especially since you're quarterback and practically one of the leaders on the team, you can show her the ropes,"

"Oh wow, the two of you guys are really sweet," I said in a fake-excitement voice and Hope stifled a laugh as the two twins slapped the back of my head one after the other.

The bus arrived to take us to the Salvatore School and we all loaded onto the bus. I usually sit next to Maya, but she sat next to her brother. I smiled at Hope and gestured for her to get in first. She smiled at me softly before getting into the seat, I sat right next to her.

The small space of the bus makes it impossible for our legs to not touch. Our legs gently grazed each other every so often and I couldn't help, but smile at the feeling. I turned my head to look at Ethan and Maya who were smirking at me.

"Wait, Ethan, you're usually a quarterback, why aren't you playing?" Hope asked and he shrugged.

"I don't want to get hurt before the actual season starts," he admits and Hope nods, "Plus it'll cause Rivers here to show off. She's got a pretty good arm,"

I smile at Ethan and secretly flip him off, "I hate you,"

He laughs softly, "Oh I know,"

We got to the Salvatore School and hopped off the bus, trying to look more cool and less douchey than the previous team captains: Dana and Connor. They were literally the worst people in the world. We're all not like those two, that's what we're trying to change around.

We walked onto our side of the field to see Landon and his friend Josie. They were the rest of the other friends, eyeing us carefully. They were with their new headmaster, he was a darker skinned man who helped coach their team last season, I think his name was Dorian. The referees took our roster to make sure we were playing the right amount of people. Before calling us out to the middle of the field it was me, Ethan, Maya, and Hope who went out. Then for their team there was Landon, Josie, a blonde girl, and a darker skinned boy with poofy hair.

"Mystic Falls since you're away, heads or tails?" the referee asked.

I looked at Ethan and Maya and they both shrugged, "We'll take tails," I said to the ref and he threw it up in the air and it landed on the ground without making a noise. We all looked down at the coin and it was tails.

"Mystic Falls do you want the ball first?" the referee asked and I shook my head, "Alright, they'll start off with the ball in the second half. Let's have a clean game guys!"