part 7

I was sitting on the bleachers, nervously bouncing my leg up and down. I looked around the crowded field searching for Hope in a crowd of thousands.

"Woah, slow your leg down, you look like you have a bad twitch," Maya commented, plopping down next to me as she handed me my pretzel.

    "Sorry," I mumbled, but the bouncing didn't stop.

    She let out a sigh, "She's going to show you know, if that's what you're worried about," she said with a mouthful of pretzel.

    "I wasn't worried about that," I lied straight through my teeth and I could tell it wasn't very convincing.

    "Sure," she drew out, "Then why are you still searching for her through the crowd?"

The sun began to set over the field creating a beautiful orange-red color in the sky. It meshed perfectly with the light blue of the fall sky. I whipped out my camera aiming it right over the field.

    Just as I was about to take a picture another pair of twins ended up in my view. I quickly removed my eye from the lens searching for the girl I've been searching for, but found that she wasn't with them. Josie and Lizzie were sitting there awkwardly with a smile on their face.

"Hey Rivers, Maya," Lizzie states, giving us a small wave.

    "Hey girls," Maya and I replied in unison.

    Josie could tell by the look on my face that I was still searching for Hope, "She's running a little late, she had to help my Dad with something,"

    "But she promised that she would be here," Lizzie reassured, "Hero stuff tends to get in the way of her having a normal life,"

    A sad smile appeared on my face, but I quickly covered it up, shooting my camera back over the field, "No worries, it's completely understandable,"

After 5 minutes of talking and trying to take cool shots with my camera. Our Mystic Falls Timberwolves started funneling out onto the field, loud music and cheers following as they ran out.

I saw Ethan on the sideline warming up his arm and started cheering really loudly along with Maya and the Saltzman twins. Ethan tried fighting the smile that crept onto his face, but he couldn't help it. After a few more minutes the whistle blew and the game was in full swing, Hope still nowhere to be found.

Just as the game started a ding went off on my phone. I pulled it out in anticipation hoping it was her.

Hey! I am so sorry, this is running later than I thought it would! I'll be there by halftime I swear! Wish Ethan luck for me!

I let out a sad sigh before shooting back a quick reply: No worries! I'll see you soon : )

The center snapped the ball to Ethan. He was scrambling trying to find someone who was open. Until his eyes landed perfectly on one of his other teammates. I started taking quick shots with my camera as he threw the ball into the air. And then again as it landed perfectly into the wide receivers arms.

    The game went on back and forth between us and the opposing team. Ethan was doing the best he could do, but it seemed the defense was too strong. Half time finally arrived with the score being 24-21, one field goal down. Yet, Hope was still nowhere to be found.

    I kept checking my phone to see if there was some sort of update from her, but every time my hope for her coming at all slowly dwindled. I let out a sigh as Maya was teaching Lizzie all of the rules so she'd stop asking questions.

"Still no text?" Josie asked.

    "No and I'm starting to think she won't show," I told her in complete honesty.