book four

BALANCE
The Story of Ki.

It was a sultry summer in Republic City, and the idea of spending it at Sung-Jin's Home for Girls caused a certain dread to burn along Ki's veins

By nine in the morning, the hot streets wavered in the sun, and all the girl could think about was how turning twenty was supposed to be the time of her life.

Yet, she was nothing more than patent leather shoes stuck on the side walk, watching parent-less children play in the park, as she once did years ago.

A girl of twenty should have felt excited, but all Ki felt was still and very empty.

The only thing that really belonged to her was her name, after all. And the only trait that filled the girl was symptoms of illness— a phantom built out of pain.

Questions had racked through her brain all her life, the most prominent being, why didn't her parents want her?

The idea of ever connecting with them died as time ticked on— causing her to unfurl her fingers from the grasp she had on hope until her hand was open.

But, her hand had been clenched into a fist, for years now; it's frozen shut, just as she was.

It's been a long time since she had been herself, and often she wondered if she had ever truly been "Ki" at all. Who was she supposed to be, and is that even what she wanted?

Just like all the other kids, in the home she grew to be an adult in, she was orphaned— she was wounded at a young age, and young she learned that those wounds were what made her.

Her rage will drive her, and transgression will override her body. She was sure of it, for this suffering has gone on too long. Ki couldn't bare to carry it any longer; it's too heavy.