chapter nine

Dusk to Dawn
totally not a date

Outside her hotel window was many tall buildings, protecting this hideout from the eyes of others

Outside her hotel window was many tall buildings, protecting this hideout from the eyes of others. She had been there a while now—seconds, minutes, hours, days— she didn't know, she lost track.

Sometimes Hina would come in, insisting she went outside to get some air, other times she only gave her a silent greeting and a glass of water.

She cried, she cried hard. Her wails fell into deafness, an earless crowd. Ki could yell, scream and plead, completely torn up by the nature of her life, but no one ever knew— only that she hadn't left her room.

Hand playing with a rogue curl of her hair, she looked out that window waiting for a shooting star that would never pass. Breaking her from her breath hitching thought was a knock.

It was soft at first but then increased in intensity as it had wrapped against her door. Picking her head up lazily, she hummed in response, waiting for them to finally open it.

Stepping into the room, Mako noticed that it was really dark, the only light illuminating everything was a shining through the glass separating them from the outside. Ki groaned putting her head back down when he walked up to her, knowing what was probably to come.

"Ki," he said strongly. "You've been in here for three days. Everyone's worried."

He used his finger, ablaze with a lively, orange fire to light the candle next to her. The flame whooshed as it caught the wick, dancing.

Only taking a small glance to him, she immediately looked away. "What am I supposed to do?" She questioned in a whisper. "What am I supposed to do now, besides stare at the ceiling and wonder what I need to do to stop this mess I caused?"

Her flippant remark drew him back, made him heave a sigh, before he shifted uncomfortably beside her bed. "Your peace is more important than driving yourself crazy trying to figure out the what if's," Mako said. "You need to let it go."

"Let it go?" She scoffed, sitting up in anger. "You want me to let it go? How? How am I supposed to do that when my very existence revolves around me trying to be something I'm not."

Sitting on the edge of her bed, he played with the hem of the blanket in thought. Mako was scared to meet her eye, for some reason other than her anger. "You don't need to be someone you're not," he muttered honestly. "You just need to be you. I guess that's the only way to find out who actually cares about you, who loves you for you."

Ki leaned against the headboard, tucking her knees into her chest. "But I'm not a Queen, so how am I supposed to be this and myself at the same time?"

"Who says you're not a Queen?" He interrogated, still keeping his gaze averted. "Just because you might not have had it made in the past, doesn't mean you can't do this. I hear everything you say, the way you treat issues with a lot of care— I would, if I had to chose anyone, I would pick you for this position any day."