chapter seven

The Coronation
a civil war emerges

Mako and Wu waited anxiously at City Hall before the coronation

Mako and Wu waited anxiously at City Hall before the coronation. The guard couldn't help but feel as though something were wrong, and the cousin, well, he was too stressed out making sure everything went perfect for Ki.

Since he couldn't have his own Coronation Day, and he grew to have a liking of his new family member, he wanted it to be just like everything he dreamed about his whole life. "Princess Ki has arrived," someone informs the two, as Ki approached behind him with her three handmaidens.

Eyes wide, like he was taking in the beauty of it all, Mako almost turned red at the sight of the girl. Of course she had always been dressed in royal gowns and emerald stones for as long as he had known her, but nothing could compare to the way she had presented herself now.

Her dress was green, deep and rich, like the color of her eyes. The intricate pattern twisted and twirled all the way down the back of the train— so long it took those three ladies to carry it. Her hair was pined in complicated swirls, with half of it laying down her back. Scattered through the silky brunette braids were ribbons— green and gold like her Kingdom's colors.

The only thing that was missing from her facade had been the crown. A symbol of power, of beauty, of hope.

"Where have you been? Your coronation is in ten minutes!" Wu scolded the girl, and broke Mako out of the intensive stare he held. The boy cleared his throat awkwardly, looking away with embarrassment. "Where's everyone else? Where are the Seven Sacred Chests of Exquisite Finery? Where are my grandfather's taffeta pantaloons?"

Ki adjusted a bracelet on her wrist with nerves, looking to Hina, her handmaiden, for some source of reassurance. "Sadly, most of the servants were scattered and the royal things were looted after the queen was," the man glanced to the Princess shortly, choosing his words. "removed from office. So this coronation may not have some of the usual items ... like ... the King Kuei's crown."

"There's no crown?! What happened to my crown?" Wu asked, distressed. "How will people know that I'm royalty? How will they know I'm related to the Queen!?"

Almost giggling, Ki shook her head at his materialistic nature. "Wu," she laughed out, in spite of herself. "Everyone knows your the prince. Don't worry."

"Luckily—" the man started again. "Hou-Ting's crown was found along with this... royal jewel."

Wu threw his head back in despair. "Great!"
He said sarcastically. "She gets a crown and I don't. All I get is this stupid earring."

"Think of it more as a... royal brooch," the man told him optimistically, pinning it on Wu's chest. Wu looked down on it with disappointment, but Ki couldn't entertain the scene as she would have liked to.

She could sense that something was going to go wrong, something that had to do with Kuvira. Ever since their conversation in the hotel lobby, Ki had been preparing every possible counter to whatever the woman had to throw at her. She couldn't be more prepared, but still she felt like she was lost— a small girl against a ravenous beast.