Chasing Foxes

Come on dude, you gotta do something for your birthday!

Sero stared at the text, the light of his screen illuminating his helmet while he texted Kaminari back.

I guess, maybe just drinks with you guys? I really haven't thought much about it.

As soon as he had sent the text, he waited for a reply while roaming the streets of Musatafu at night. He was the unfortunate soul from the agency he worked under to patrol the graveyard shift this week, taking his stroll by foot rather than by tape. There had been some run-ins with other local heroes and Pros alike who also roamed the streets at such a late hour, but for the most part, Sero had been on his own, taking the opportunity every once in a while to catch up with his friends via text. Especially because of one event in particular.

Well if you say so. Sucks having to do the graveyard patrol.

Sero grinned before texting Kaminari back, jumping on a conversation the both of them strung along all week.

Yeah, well, it beats having to babysit someone.

Hey, come on man. Sure no one wanted to be near them, and they got pushed onto me, but hey, when you're a Hero, gotta do the job.

Sero's grin widened, rebutting Kaminari with another thought that crossed his mind.

You like them, don't you? Come on, you can admit it. It's my birthday after all.

There was a silence afterwards while Sero stared at his phone, noticing the reply icon flashing in view. If it wasn't for Kaminari, he would've at least been conversing with Kirishima, maybe even Mina at this time. The one time he tried to message Bakugou he received no reply, assuming that the explosive man would have been asleep at this hour, or later for that matter.

Throughout the week, Sero had found very little crime around his region, let alone anything stimulating to keep him occupied or focused on the task at hand. Aside from the occasional breaking-and-entering, there wasn't any excitement. Just the rare passerby, or quick conversation with fellow graveyard patrollers. If anything, the talks he had with his friends about his birthday were the most that he got out of this week of the graveyard shift, ranging from venue choices, activities, and even the occasional discussion of "setting him up", courtesy of Mina. Sero only smiled at his friends' antics. He was only happy to see them, catch up, and have a few drinks - no more, no less.

The sound of his phone signaled Kaminari's response with the dark-haired hero reaching out to unlock his phone when suddenly something caught his eye by the corner of an intersection ahead. Across the way, he spotted someone entering a large building from one of its windows noticing that it was one of the largest museums in the city. Even in the dim light of the street lamps, it didn't hide the sheen that reflected off from the intruder's outfit. Pocketing his phone, he immediately made his way to the museum, shooting tape towards the window to follow suit and enter.

Normal protocol would be to call for assistance, however Sero had dealt with a few crooks of the same M.O. the past week. How different could this one be compared to the rest?

Sneaking through the second floor, Sero made his way towards the foyer, soon spotting the shadow of the intruder round the corner, their running footsteps echoing around the empty floor. He quietly pursued after them, taking every precaution to not alert another soul. Every turn he made, he would catch the glimpse of the shadow paces ahead of him.

Eventually the footsteps stopped. Sero immediately stilled, creeping towards the beams that overlooked a section of the museum that displayed their prize jewel, Painite, shimmering in the display lights that illuminated the case. A puff of smoke blew in the air in the corner of his eye, watching the lasers that protected the jewel bounce and flicker within the plume. A moment of silence passed, before the sound of a high-pitched tune played in the room, the ringing penetrating through his helmet and causing him to wince. He wished he could take his helmet off then and there.