Pretending

Katara's POV

"Thanks Zuko." Aang says. 

"Th-thanks?" Zuko stutters. It was a weird reaction to figuring out that your friend almost died. I can tell that all of us are just a bit confused. 

"Thanks for saving my girlfriend's life," he clarifies.

I am completely and utterly shocked. I have no idea what to say. What do you say? Why would he say that? It was very selfish and almost rude to Zuko. Plus I am appalled that he would call me his girlfriend like that. I have already told him that I didn't want to start a romantic relationship between us. When will he get it?

Instead of lashing out at him, I just keep my face calm and ignore the comment. Hopefully Zuko will do the same. If he didn't then that could start a real problem. Luckily, he does. 

"Well let's get inside," Sokka says, breaking the silence, "I'm starving!" I smile slightly. I'm grateful that Sokka will always be here to break up awkward silences.

Aang looks over at me, but I quickly slip myself under Zuko's arm. It won't give him any hints, and they all know that Zuko can't Wal so it makes sense. A look of jealousy flashes across his face before he heads off with Toph.

Aang and Toph lead the way back to the palace, talking about how big it is. They can probably see all of the hallways and rooms in the palace and, none of us have ever been to the Fire Nation palace before, so they have a right to be surprised.

Suki and Sokka follow, slowly. Sokka is hopping on his good leg, like he was when he came here. I can't really understand what him and Suki are talking about. Knowing Sokka, it probably can't be anything serious. Or it is something about himself.

Zuko and I fall behind. I grab his hand. I know it's risky but I'm hoping that I can pull that off as a gesture used for support. We walk just a bit slower then Sokka and Suki. I do have a strong feeling though that Zuko is walking slower on purpose.

"Why didn't you say anything to Aang?" he whispers quietly to me as we walk. 

"I don't really want anyone to know yet. We'll talk about it later, at your healing session." I whisper back. I look up at him to see him nod. I'm so happy that he understands me, unlike Aang does, apparently.

Once we get to the palace doors, I let go of Zuko's hand, to hide it from Aang. The guards open the door for us and we walk in toward the direction of the guest bedrooms, to show everyone where they will be staying. 

Everyone still walks relatively slow. Zuko thinks that they are only walking slow because of him. I can see the small pout resting across his face as we continue to make our way to the guest rooms. He is so cute when he is upset about petty things.

We show everyone their rooms, which are near Zuko and I's rooms. Toph was upset that we weren't sleeping on dirt anymore. Sokka, along with Suki, were grateful to finally be able to shower. Aang on the other hand, didn't really express any emotion toward the room. He just kept shooting Zuko weird looks.

By the time every one is settled in, it is time for lunch. The royal chefs have set up a buffet of Fire Nation foods that most of us greatly enjoy, Sokka being the reluctant exception. He complains the whole time about everything being so flavorful and spicy that it is disgusting. You would think that a guy who likes food so much would be grateful but clearly that's not the case with him.

While we are eating, a royal advisor comes up to Zuko and asks him when he would like to have his coronation. He explains how it would be best to have it as soon as possible, so that we can start working on the state of the world.