Issue

Zuko's POV

"Firelord Zuko I have another message from the royal council member of public affairs." Su says, holding out a scroll that is tied neatly with a bow.

"That's the seventh one this week." I murmur before grabbing the scroll. "Oh, uh thank you Su."

"It's my pleasure, Firelord." Su says, with a quick bow before leaving the entrance of my room.

I close the door behind her, before opening up the scroll as I head over to Katara, who is reading on the couch. We have actually had a decent amount of free time lately. Most matters between the nations have been settled and we seem to have everything figured out.

The next thing we have to look forward to is a big meeting with all of the nations to sign a treaty, but that's in a week. Hopefully by then, everything between the nations will be forgiven and resolved and we can start fresh.

However, there is another problem on our hands. It is quite clear that the people of the Fire Nation are starting to question Katara's position within the Fire Nation hierarchy. While it has never been announced to the public, people are...concerned to say the least that we potentially have a member of the water tribe making decisions for their kingdom.

And not only that but I can't tell you how many times me or Katara have come back from going out into the city, because we were too overwhelmed by the questions of our relationship. The people are confident that the only reason Katara is in a position such as this is because of me.

As I suspected when I opened the scroll, the public affairs council member gave me a rundown of what occurred on the streets of the Fire Nation today. What really made me worried was that this one was longer and, well the events listed were much more intense then what they have been previously.

At the top of the list, the officer explained how one of the villages in the east, created a drawing of Katara to put in the village square. He described how passerbys would throw fruits and rocks at the picture and when it got ruined enough the people would burn it before putting up another one.

Another event listed was that multiple towns have created flyers stating that Katara and I were dating, we were married, had an affair, anything of that sort. The council member did graciously put that most of these flyers were created by teen girls, which makes sense, but they were still an issue nonetheless.

All in all, the Fire Nation is getting out of hand with these rumors and attacks towards Katara. I need to put it to an end, before we start having to worry about our physical safety. If Katara were to get hurt after everything that has happened, everything that we have lived through, I don't think I would be able to live with myself.

"They keep getting worse don't they?" Katara asks from the chair she is sitting in. She was reading peacefully, but my extended silence must've worried her.

"Ya they do." I reply sadly.

"No one is questioning your leadership right?" Katara asks, placing her book down on the coffee table and making her way over to where I'm standing. I immediately close the scroll and toss it onto the couch. If I can keep her from seeing what is on the page then I will.

"No, no one is questioning that." I tell her as I wrap my arms around her in an embrace.

"Then that's all that matters." She says in a quieter tone. "As long as people still think that you are worthy to be Firelord then it doesn't matter what they think about me. I can always resign."

"No!" I say suddenly, "I'm not letting you do that unless we absolutely need to. And that circumstance will only come into fruition if we can't find any other solution. I'm the Firelord which means I'll be able to figure this out. I have to be able-" Katara cuts me off with a kiss.

"You were mumbling again love." She whispers against my lips. I get into the habit of doing that when I get stressed. Clearly this matter is stressing me out more than I thought. Luckily Katara is always able to distract me.

"Sorry." I apologize meekly, before placing my forehead on hers.

"I know how much you want me to stay, but if it's causing you to be stressed, then I will gladly resign." she says.

"But don't you see. I'll be equally as stressed if you aren't working with me." I continue to argue.

This point causes her to fall silent. We stood there quietly for a while and I could tell that the gears were turning in Katara's head. They were in mine too. I can't lose Katara, and not just my relationship with her, but also her input in the Fire Nation. It's not just bias talking when I say that she is one of the best royal council members we have.

"Then let's just tell them." she whispers after a while. "Let's just tell the Fire Nation about the status of our relationship. It will put all the rumors to rest and maybe then, we will be able to deal with the problems that arise better."

I think about that for a moment. She is right. Telling the Fire Nation will settle all of the rumors. But I think the next problem that will arise is the hate that Katara is going to recieve. I forget that while the war is over, there are still people, especially within the Fire Nation, that still believe in what my father was trying to do. Those people are going to be the causes of many problems for us.

I open my eyes to make eye contact with Katara. I can tell, by the determined look in her eyes, that she is willing to do this, and honestly, at this point it might be the best option. Both of us together can deal with the haters.

"Alright let's do it. Tomorrow, I will call a meeting with Nation. Everyone within a decent radius of the palace should attend and the outer villages will be receiving a messenger. We will tell everyone that way." I explained.

"Ok." Katara replies, leaving the matter to rest. Tomorrow is going to be a big day.

Alright, short chapter I know, but I needed to post something, just in case I don't have time again. I can't leave you guys hanging for any longer :) This next part of the plot will take place over three chapters, if everything goes according to plan. If not, well I guess we will see when we get there.

Second thing, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR 10K. I cannot believe that you guys have read and liked the story this much! It's seriously insane. I'm not sure what else to say that I haven't said before so, thank you thank you thank you all! :D :D :D