It's A Miracle

*Several Months Later*

Since Bret and I found out about the pregnancy, it has been quite difficult keeping it a secret. I think the hardest part were all the physical signs that was happening to me, such as gaining weight. Eventually, Lexi and Kate found out about the pregnancy and then I ended up telling Cavanaugh, who in return told Korsak and Frankie. So basically the entire station knows about the baby. 

Waking up this morning, I realized that I have my six-month ultrasound today. Bret and I promised each other a few months ago that we were going to wait to find out the sex of our baby, but I just can't wait any longer. I have prayed and tried really hard for this baby- I just need to find out what we are having. Even if Bret doesn't want to know, I will send him out of the room. 

Since I was the first one awake, I decided to make some herbal tea and relax for a few minutes on my couch. It was nice to have some time to myself. There were no children running around, no Rizzolis talking, no husbands to please. There was, however, an extremely active baby kicking around in my stomach. I could feel the baby moving and sliding across my belly. It was the most amazing feeling in the world.

As I laid my head back and closed my eyes to take in the silence, I was greeted by a very moody little girl. She had her pink blanket in her arms and her sippy cup in her hand as she climbed up on the couch next to me. Her hair was full of knots- it looked as if she just fought off an army. "Hey baby, what are you doing up so early?" I asked her. 

She groaned and moaned as she rested her head down on my belly to fell back asleep. Just as she closed her eyes again, the baby kicked the side of my stomach, exactly where her head was. She immediately sat up and shouted, "Eww!" 

I laughed at her innocence and replied, "Aw honey. Did the baby frighten you?"

Pointing to my stomach, she asked me, "The baby is in there?"

"Yes, Elizabeth. Right here," I said as I used my index finger to point out where the baby was in my stomach.

"Ew..." she whispered as she studied my stomach.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Did it taste funny?" she questioned me.

"Oh no, honey. I didn't eat the baby."

"Then how did it get in there?"

Well, this certainly was not a question that I expected her to ask. I chuckled as I told her, "Well. It's a miracle."

"Does Daddy know?"

"Yes, Daddy knows," I laughed.

"Did he put it in there?" she asked.

"Mommy and Daddy put it in there."

"How?"

"Well, when a Mommy and a Daddy love each other very much, they get granted a baby. Then they can share their love with their new baby and start a family."

"Oh," she whispered, not understanding anything I just said. She laid back down and soon fell asleep. I smiled down to her and ran my finger through her beautiful, brown hair. When I heard her begin to fall asleep, I closed my eyes for the second time, but was greeted by my husband.

"Hey babe," he said as he walked over to the couch to kiss me. 

"Hey," I whispered.

"Aw, a mother with her daughter. This is deserving of a picture," he told me as he ran over to get his cell phone. I closed my eyes just as he returned for the picture.