Two Lines

I drove to the nearest pharmacy store to grab another pregnancy test. Bret and I have been waiting for this moment for the past month and a half. Especially since the first test came back negative, we really have a good feeling about this one. After buying the test, I drove home anxiously to administer the test. 

When I arrived, Elizabeth and Bret were playing with dolls in the living room. Every time I watch the two of them play together, it makes me want another baby more and more. "Psst..." I whispered over to Bret as I held up the plastic bag. "You ready?" he asked me.

"Yeah, I'm going to do it now," I told him as I made my way into the bathroom.

As I administered the test, I felt a rush of anxiety over me. I wanted this so badly- more than anything. After washing my hands, I took the test and walked out to the living room where my two loves were. Sitting down on the couch, Bret sat next to me and we both watched the test. It was absolutely agonizing as the two pink lines appeared on the screen. Bret looked at me and asked, "Two lines?"

Nodding my head, I could feel the tears beginning to form in my eyes as I replied, "Two lines!"

As soon as I said this, he reached for me and slammed his lips to mine. Giving him a few quick kisses in return, Elizabeth walked over to us and asked, "What's matter?"

I reached down and picked her up so that she was sitting in between Bret and me. "Mommy and daddy are going to have another baby," I explained to her as I kissed my husband again. We have been waiting for this moment for way too long. 

"Lizzy is going to be a big sister!" Bret yelled to her.

"Yay!" my little girl exclaimed in response. 

Finally catching my breath, I reached over and hugged Bret, "Oh my God. I'm so happy!" I shouted to the best of my ability. It is kind of hard to make words come out of your mouth when there's nothing but tears streaming down your cheeks. Kissing my temple, he whispered back, "I'm so proud of you babe."

I couldn't believe it. What the doctors told me that I couldn't do- I did. I felt like I have done the impossible. This moment right now has given me more hope and faith than anything else. 

As I caught my breath and wiped my tears away, I picked up my cell phone and called Jane. We were on the phone for two hours discussing this moment that just happened. The fact that we really planned and tried for this pregnancy makes it all the more special. 

--------------------

A couple weeks later, Bret and I went to get our first ultrasound done. Seeing our little embryo on the monitor was the second greatest moment of my life- next to meeting Elizabeth. I never thought I would ever want to go through another pregnancy again, considering what I went through the first time. Elizabeth was one of the hardest delivery ever. 

Looking back to that day, I remember how mean and awful I was to Bret. He told me how scary I was and how he never heard me swear so much in our entire relationship. If I could go back and watch how I acted, I would definitely do so- Jane told me it was probably hilarious. 

Going home and showing everyone our picture of the baby made it feel real. I can't even find the words to express the way I feel. Bret is extremely excited. He keeps calling the baby "his little football player." Bret used to play a bunch of sports, including football. He told me one day how much he wants a little boy to carry on his athletic genes. I said that I will try. 

 "Maur, I am so happy for you!" Jane told me as she studied the sonogram.

I gave her a hug and replied, "Thank you! I am so excited."

"You should be. Ah, two little kiddies running around in this place," Angela added.

"Yeah. It's going to be hectic, but I can't wait," I told them with a smile from ear to ear. I can't even imagine two kids running around here. I am going to be a mother of two. That sounds so strange.

Emma walked over to us and asked, "What's going on?"

I picked her up and rested her on my hip. "We're just talking, sweetie."

"Talking about what?" she asked again.

"Honey, Aunt Maura is going to have another baby! You're going to have another little cousin! Isn't that exciting?!" Jane yelled excitedly to Emma as she took her from me.

"Yay!" she hollered back in synchrony with Jane.

Emma ran away towards Elizabeth and started talking about the new baby. Bret came over to us and placed his hand on my stomach. "Excuse me ladies, but can I borrow my wife for a minute please?" he asked Jane and Angela. 

"No problem," Jane told him as I walked into another room with him.

He shut the door behind me and asked, "Why are you telling everyone about this?"

"What? Honey, I'm only telling Jane and Angela," I answered.

"Yeah and then you're going to go into work and tell Lexi and Korsak and everyone else in the station."

"No I'm not, Bret. I'll keep this a secret."

He chuckled and whispered, "Now you know you can't keep any secrets."

I gave him a smirk as I gently kissed him. "I promise Jane and Angela are the only two I will tell."

When we returned to the living room, everyone was sitting on the couch watching Disney Princesses with Elizabeth and Emma. "Princesses again?" I asked as I entered the room. Bret came up behind me and felt my stomach again. "I need a little football player in this house," he spoke, making everyone laugh. 

~~~

Hey everyone! I apologize for the wait and for how short this chapter was. I need to get back into the swing of writing. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and Valentine's Day! I am going to immediately start writing another chapter tonight and hopefully have that up by tomorrow :)

XO- J