Fine

The next morning, Bret and I woke up and made breakfast together. We were expecting Jane, Angela, Elizabeth, Emma, and Kate around nine o'clock to eat. As Bret made eggs, I set the table and fried the bacon. There were six plates, glasses, forks, and knives that circled the table. After setting the table, I realized that I definitely did not inherit my mother's dinner party genes. Not only was the table pretty casual, but Bret and I were as well. He was wearing some New England Patriots pajama bottoms that I bought him for Father's Day from the NFL Shop. I guess he likes them because he wears them almost consecutively  every night.

Usually I don't let Bret walk around the house wearing nothing but pants, but it was just him and I for the time being. We started cooking around eight o'clock so that left us an hour to wear whatever we wanted before our guests came. Me, on the other hand, I was wearing Frozen pajamas that Bret and Elizabeth bought me for Mother's Day. Now that I think of it, we were pretty synchronized. But I promise that we did not plan this at all- it was just a coincidence.

"Babe, are you almost done?" I asked him about fifteen minutes before they were coming.

Still frying the eggs, he answered, "Not yet Maur. About twenty minutes."

"Bret, they're going to be here soon!" I told him.

"Well then how about you go get changed so you're ready when they get here. I will get dressed when this is done."

"How long does it take to make eggs?" I asked him getting annoyed. Breakfast was supposed to be done by eight-thirty, that way it would leave us with a half an hour to get dressed.

"It takes time Maura, I can't just snap my fingers and have them magically appear on a plate."

"Is there a reason why you're being so rude?" 

He put his spatula down and looked over at me, "I'm not being rude, I just want to get the damn cooking done. Why don't you go get dressed so you're ready when they come?"

"Fine," I mumbled as I made my way to the bedroom. I could hear him mimic me as I made my way into the bedroom, "Fine." The mini argument that we just had put us back five minutes. There is no way Bret is going to be ready when they arrive. That man is always late when it comes to getting ready in the morning, especially when he wakes up with a bad attitude. 

After putting on some skinny jeans and a nice blouse, I completed my outfit with a pair of my favorite Louis Vuitton flats. It was five minutes to nine by the time I was finished getting ready and Bret never came in the room. As I walked out into the living room, I saw Bret sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee. "Bret!" I hollered.

Looking up at me, he responded, "What's the problem now?"

"They are going to be here any minute! Go get dressed!" I yelled. I am not going to have people come here with Bret only half dressed. 

"Maur, if I go to get changed, I'm only putting a shirt and socks on. There is no need to get fully dressed for our closest friends for breakfast," he told me. 

"Then go put a freaking shirt on, Bret. You are not going to be eating breakfast shirtless."

"Well it never bothered you before," he said as he stood up and walked over to me. 

Placing my hands along his chest, I whispered, "It didn't but that was when it was just the two of us. Now please go get dressed."

Just as he started walking away, we heard a knock at the door. "Great!" I sarcastically yelled. "Look, now they're here and you're not dressed!" 

When I opened the door, my little girl ran into my arms. "Mommy!" she hollered. "Hey baby! How was Aunt Jane's house?" I asked her as I lifted her up and propped her on my hip. "Daddy's here," I told her, expecting to get an enthusiastic reaction. 

Bret came running up behind me from the bedroom and took Elizabeth right from my hip. "How's my princess doing?" he asked her as he threw her up in the air. 

Jane, Angela, Emma, and Kate walked in next. "Jane, I have to talk to you," I whispered, hoping that Kate and Angela wouldn't hear. 

"Yeah, hold on," she responded as she walked over to the couch to put Emma down. "Are you okay, Emma?" she asked her. Emma nodded as she took a drink from her sippy cup. 

When Jane was done taking care of Emma and putting her stuff down, she walked over to meet me in the hallway. "What's up, Maura?" she asked.

"Bret and I were talking last night and we both decided to try to have another baby!" I quietly told her, trying to be subtle about it.

"Oh my God, that's so exciting!" she exclaimed as she wrapped me in a hug. "So wait a minute... We left you two alone all night last night just so you guys could talk?"

I chuckled, "Oh no. We did other things too."

"So you did have sex?" she bluntly asked me.

I couldn't help but laugh at her. "Yes, Jane. It was a very good night," I answered.

"Okay good. So about the new baby- when are you guys going to start trying again?" 

After thinking about it for a few seconds, I responded, "I'm not sure. I'm due for my period in a few days so I guess we'll start trying sometime after then."

"Wow," she mumbled as if she had something to say.

"What?"

"Just when I thought you couldn't have gotten any more obvious..." she joked.

Rolling my eyes, I smiled at her and said, "Jane I'm so happy."

"I'm happy for you. Just don't say anything in front of my mother. God only knows who she'll tell after that." 

I laughed, "I won't. I just wanted to tell you."

"Aw well I can't wait for another niece or nephew," she whispered as she hugged me again and continued, "Now let's go back out there before they find out that something is up." 

When we walked back out into the living room, everyone sat down at the table to eat. During the entire breakfast, Elizabeth sat with her father. Everyone could tell how much she missed him. It warms my heart knowing the special connection that the two of them have. It is the same thing when I look at Emma and Jane. They have such a wonderful relationship. It makes me think about the kinds of relationships that I have with my parents. My whole life, I wished that my children would never feel the way I felt and right now, looking at Bret and Elizabeth, I can tell that my wish came true.