Chapter 3

Theo, just to jog your memory

Vera's POV

"Theodore!" I squealed as he leaned over, his breath fanning across my neck.

He sat back upright in his chair and grimaced at me, his puffy lips etched into a frown. When he opened his mouth to say something, I interrupted him.

"I know, I know. It just slipped out. I couldn't even help it, okay?"

"Have that same energy when I accidentally call you by your whole government." He sassed with a roll of his eyes.

I blinked. "Theo, that's not the same and you know it!"

"Oh, it's not?" He replied, sarcastically.

"No. No, it's not."

He simply shrugged at me, seemingly thinking about his comeback. "Well, älskling. Bottom line is, I don't like it."

Just looking at Theo, you'd think he was sincerely offended. However, the curve at the corner of his mouth told me otherwise. He was enjoying this little banter, as he so often does.

It was currently my day off and he called me to see if I'd mind joining him for brunch, his treat. Of course I didn't mind, but I still gave him a hard time and he'd eventually hung up on me. I thought he gave up, but at exactly 11:55 a.m., he was outside my door with his arm extended and ready to go.

I still 'til this day, can't even understand how he's dealt with me for this long. Maybe because he's used to it? But regardless, we're both stubborn as hell so I guess it's a give and take situation.

"Why do you even bother going back and forth with me?" I blurted before I even had the chance to think about stopping my mouth.

Theo flashed his pearly whites at me. I don't know why it made me a little self conscious, but it did.

"It's our thing, isn't it? We're like," he stopped to think of the proper comparison. "Booth and Brennan."

My cheeks grew warm and his grin suddenly became contagious.

"That was a good one, I thought you were gonna say something corny. Like ya know, Tom and Jerry or Itchy and Scratchy. Something like that."

He deadpanned. "First of all, Tom and Jerry are animals. And what the fuck is an Itchy and Scratchy?"

"Do y'all not watch The Simpsons in Sweden?"