Memoirs #2

A/N: There's a bit of French in this chapter. My French was just about acceptable... a few years ago. I haven't used it in at least 7 years, so it's beyond rusty. If you speak French and notice anything weird or unnatural, or wrong, I'm really sorry. Let me know in the comments though, and I'll change it, much appreciated. Hope you enjoy this one :)

"Ce n'est pas de problème, Antoine," (It's no problem, Antoine) I try to calm my frantically apologising friend. He was meant to help us out today, but his sister got into a minor car accident, so being the overprotective brother he was, he didn't want to leave her.

"J'ai tellement désolé, Samu! J'ai promis!" (I am so sorry, Samu! I promised!) he continues apologising, regardless of the fact that he'd already done so every day since he cancelled his flight last week.

"Arrête t'excuser. Je t'ai dit, ce n'est pas un problème. C'est d'accord." (Stop apologising. I told you, it's not a problem. It's fine.) I repeated myself for the nth time. It was quiet for a second, and I knew exactly what would come next.

"Why are you even talking in French to me? I told you to speak English, mon chéri." I rolled my eyes.

He had this absurd notion that his English needed practice, even though he was fluent and his accent was close to sounding like a natural Cambridge one.

"You do not need any practice, Antoine. You sound like a native."

"Hardly. Stop trying to please me. Also I'm sorry. Let me talk to Jordan, he'll tell me off." he then commands.

"Sometimes I genuinely wonder whether you have a masochistic streak." I mumble, then answer him, "He's not here."

"Don't lie to me. Of course he's with you." Cue another eye roll "And don't roll your eyes."

"I'm serious. He went to get something from the car."

"See? So he is with you. I'll wait for him."

I didn't bother answering him, instead we had some small talk for the few minutes it took Jordie to come back.

"Il es ici maintenant." (He's here now.) I said into the phone before handing it over to Jordie, who'd just reached the top of the stairs with his laptop bag on his shoulder.

"Antoine?" he asked with one eyebrow raised. I nodded and he took the phone from me before greeting our friend. By Jordie's silence, I concluded that Antoine was ranting through another apology monologue, and it was only confirmed when Jordie looked at me, dramatically rolling his eyes, clearly trying to imitate my bad habit.

"Yeah yeah, you're the worst. Awful friend really. We should never talk to you again. You really should repent. Yada yada, can't imagine a worse friend, yada yada and so on." Jordie said in a purposely monotone voice, clearly mocking Antoine's need to incessantly apologise. I could vividly see my friend pouting in my head and couldn't help chuckling.

I eventually get my phone back after they said goodbye.

"Adieu, mon chéri. I will see you again if god wills." Antoine said dramatically.

"Shut up Antoine. We'll literally be back in less than a year. Dit moi que je peus aider ta seour en quelque sort." (Tell me if I can help your sister somehow.), I hesitated for a second, acutely aware of Jordie next to me, knowing his opinion on the matter, "Je suit toujour désolé." (I'm still sorry.)

Without giving him a chance to tell me off, I ended the call. Obviously, he immediately called back, but I was saved by the sound of heels coming up the stairs. I made a point not to look at Jordie, glad that he'd never taken to French as easily as I had.