♠️ Chapter Sixteen: Weeping Angels ♠️

~~~

A/N: Delilah Mae's outfit is as detailed in Chapter Fifteen.

~~~

The Doctor's face dropped, his features void of emotion. His head snapped fiercely to River's, displaying only a small flash of panic through his eyes. The Doctor's grip unknowingly tightened on Delilah's hand, increasing in strength.

Delilah watched the Doctor curiously, despite his empty features, she had full understanding of the emotion running through her - fear. She winced slightly as the Doctor's grip increased and gripped onto his elbow with her other hand. Seemingly snapping the Doctor from his state.

He glanced down at Delilah, "Sorry, love."

Delilah gave him a small smile and shook her head in response. The Doctor cleared his throat, turning around and grabbing Delilah by the elbow. He held a firm grip but was gentle enough not to hurt her.

"Right, back to the Tardis," he scurried off pulling Delilah with him, "Amy you too," he commented over his shoulder. Amy jumped at the Doctor's voice, a frown covering her features but didn't question his tone and followed accordingly.

"Doctor!" River called out, watching the trio scamper off.

"I thought you said he could help," Father Octavian questioned River.

"He can and is," River huffed, crossing her arms.

"Then why is he running away."

"The Doctor isn't running away and never will," River stated before muttering softly, "he's already done it once."

"What is he doing, Doctor Song?" Father Octavian questioned, "We do not have time for this foolery."

River smiled at the Doctor's retreating figure, "He's taking care of the most important person here."

The Doctor's body moved on its own pulling Delilah along. His thoughts running haphazardly, of course River had to bring him into this mess.

Delilah stumbled, losing her footing with his fast pace, her eyes flickering between his features. His eyes scattered around and seemed to hold an overcast. Delilah tried to pull her arm from his grip, "Doctor." He continued forward as if he didn't hear her and pulled her rather absently with him. His main focus was to get Delilah to safety.

Delilah turned back to Amy who was walking behind the two and shared a worried glance. "Doctor," Delilah stated firmly reaching up to place a hand on his chest. Stopping both of them in front of the Tardis.

"What," he snapped turning to face Delilah.

Delilah jumped back in shock at the Doctor's tone, ripping her arm from him. She gazed at his eyes, his harsh features dropping. The Doctor reached forward and cupped Delilah's cheeks, leaning his forehead on hers. He sighed softly staring into her eyes.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, "it's just, these creatures are dangerous Mae, really dangerous and I need you safe. I shouldn't have snapped or pulled at you." The Doctor shook his head softly against Delilah's forehead. He caressed her cheeks softly, "Did I hurt you?" His heart aching at the thought.

Delilah could see the turmoil in the Doctors eyes. She smiled gently, her eyes creasing slightly. "No, your grip wasn't tight, and I have short legs," Delilah muttered softly to him, "I'm used to being clumsy."

"How about emotionally?" The Doctor questioned.

"I was only shocked, that's all." She gave the Doctor a bright smile wanting to ease the worry and guilt building within him. She understood he was only trying to get her to safety - he didn't even hurt her.