♠️ Chapter Twenty-Three: Venice ♠️

~~~

A/N Delilah Mae's outfit is detailed above

~~~

Venice, 1580. There was a large but otherwise empty chamber. A woman, Rosanna, sat comfortably on a throne under a canopy of lush red and gold tapestry with her son, Francesco, standing at her side. Her throne was encrusted with gold; etched in several designs. She sat comfortably and powerfully with her features dull and bored.

Rosanna's Steward came forth escorting a man named Guido and his young daughter to the throne – both walked hand in hand.

"Signora, your school offers a chance for betterment, escape," Guido exclaimed to the Queen, "My daughter," Guido let go of his daughter's hand and stepped forward, taking his hat off his head in respect, "Isabella is seventeen now, but what prospects are there for the daughter of a boat builder? There's no future for us. No future but you."

Rossana looked the girl up and down, "I am moved by your concern for your daughter," she spoke softly, "I believe protecting the future of one's own is a sacred duty." She glanced at her son.

"Signora," Guido addressed Rosanna as he reached for his daughter's hand bringing her forward, "she is my world."

"Then we will take your world," she replied with a smile.

Guido and his daughter erupted in wide smiles. Both joyously happy with Rosanna's decision. The father and daughter duo gripped each other in a long-lasting hug.

Rosanna slowly rose from her throne and stood graciously, as her eyes wondered un-amused, "Say goodbye to your daughter."

The duo stopped celebrating, arms still wrapped around each other, and smiles fallen from their face. "Now, Signora?" Guido asked.

"Why wait? Time ticks."

Guido turned to his daughter, holding her at arm's reach, "Be brave, my girl. Make me proud." He kissed her hand lovingly and left her in Rosanna's care as the Steward escorted him out.

"Step into the light, my dear," Rossana's voice gentle and monotone. She watched the young girl step lightly before her, "That's it."

Rosanna and her son glided around her, circling her... taunting her. She was the prey to their game. The girl squirmed under their gazes and watched as they stopped in front of her.

"What say you, Francesco?" Rossana questioned her son, "Do you like her?"

Francesco placed himself before the girl, mere centimetres away, his chest slowly rose with each breath. He smiled softly at the girl, but his eyes shone manically.

"Oh, I do, Mother," his voice indulgent, "I do." Francesco opened his mouth showing his razor teeth. Small and sharp, like a bat's causing Isabella to scream.