chapter one

Present Time... Whatever that is.

(Emilia P.O.V)

---

I yawned and stretched out my arms. Sunlight poured through my window at a blinding rate, but that wasn't what had woken me up. The horrible outgoing noises of yelling and shouting at 8 a.m in the morning echoed throughout my room, most likely the entirety of the estate, and it wasn't helping the peaceful aesthetic I had going on. What a great way to start the day.

I slowly walked to my window, opened it, and was greeted by a pebble thrown right at my face. I fell back on the floor with a yelp.

"Who threw the pebble at the Lady?" One of the guards shouted. I stood back up and saw that one person was standing separated from the crowd.

The guards snatched him up and his eyes widened with fear. He looked like his heart was about to jump out of his chest. I got up from the floor, a few seconds before it was too late, and threw my hands out the window.

"Wait! Leave him be, I'm fine." I exclaimed from my window.

And here I am, sounding like an actual nobly noble. Ah, must be instinct.

'Oh my gowns, they must be perfect! My jewelry and heels, they all need polishing!'

Good Lord Emilia.

"Yes, my Lady." They dropped him roughly on the floor and went back to their posts.

"S-Sorry, my Lady." The person bowed his head in apology and ran away before he could get in trouble again.

"If you wouldn't mind, I would like to return to my schedule. If you have any more issues you may send a request to the king rather than breaking out in fights, yes?" I spoke loudly, not yelling but not in a normal inside voice, but it still seemed like some of them couldn't hear me. I sighed, "Relay the message." I said to one of the guards and closed my window shut.

"That looks like something that needs to go to the infirmary, sis." a voice said behind me. I turned around to face my brother and scowled.

"How did they get through borders anyway?" I asked, ignoring the muffled clamoring from my window.

"They didn't. Guess that one just had good momentum and terrible aim." he shrugged. "But let's get you to the infirmary."

"Is it that bad?"

Ethan winced when I nudged my nose, "Uuh, kinda? You at least need an ointment or something."

"What color is my nose, Ethan?"

"Blue, purple, honestly, I can't even tell. I'll just call Will and we'll get you an ice pack." He picked up my telephone, spinning on the numbers, "Can we get medical assistance in Lady Emelia's room?" When he placed down the phone, he went over to close my window, "Had this happened when Hopper was around, that guy would be dead."

"Thank God Hopper's not around anymore, the guy was a killjoy. Where'd he move again?"

Ethan pulled back his long hair, "Siberia or something. It was a tough place for a tough guy though."

"Huh." There was a knock on the door, and Ethan speed-walked to the door before I could.

William, the estate's medic, poked his head through the door, "Oh yeah that's bad." He rifled through his bag and brought out a small white tube, "Some ointment should reduce the color and swelling, but if it doesn't go away, you can put some makeup on it or something to cover it up and it won't be a problem. Though your nose might look a little too big for its own good."

He handed me the ointment, "Just rub it into the part that hurts most. I don't feel like rubbing someone's nose today."

"There is no 'I don't feel' William, it is only 'I don't want to'." Will smiled.

"Just put the dang thing on."

"Right, right. Party pooper."

"Emelia, you think everyone's a party pooper," Will sighed.

"Don't forget killjoy," Ethan muttered.

"Oh, like Sir Hopper."

Ethan rolled his eyes, "Yes we were just talking about him. Though he really was a killjoy."

"Wonderful way to start the day, though. Get hit by a rock and then discuss the thriving killjoys of the world. Must really make your day, My Lady." William replied, putting away his things as I handed him back the ointment, "By the way, the maids looked in a very big rush this morning for breakfast. I wouldn't be surprised if someone were coming over." He glanced over at me and then back at his bag.

"Who, like James? He hasn't been in the public's view for several months now due to his monarch training. I've barely been able to keep up with him. Seeing him now would mean something big's going to come." I grumbled, and Ethan plopped himself down on my bed.

"Maybe that's exactly what it is," William shrugged, "I must head back now, I'll send over another spare ointment through your lady-in-waiting so you can apply it when the pain comes back." William bowed and left the room silently.

Ethan and I looked at each, "Do you think it's him? I asked, the voice barely a whisper.

Ethan looked pained, "If it is, I know he's not going to be the same. He left us for months, Emy. It's not for just some petty reason." Ethan's eyes molded into something I couldn't fully make out.

There was a knock on the door and Ethan almost growled, "Come in!" I called, and Rosaline, my lady-in-waiting, poked her head in.

"My Lady, your mother and father requested both you and Lord Ethan to get dressed for breakfast. We are going to have a visitor."

"Do you know who it is?"

Rosaline looked at us with a blank stare as we both secretly held out breaths. 

"Prince James."