chapter two

"Prince James."

Within a flash, a bang, and a dramatic unveiling, my brother and I were in front of the dining hall doors, sparkling in our new gowns and tailcoats, brown and blonde hair slicked back by sapphires and gel. The doors opened clanging and rumbling, as Ethan and I both held our breaths for the grand reveal.

Nothing.

Well, of course, our parents were there, and they were also visibly seen letting out breaths.

"Good morning, children!" My mother graced us with her welcome first. Amberly Acosta was none bothered by age or pregnancies, radiant and beautiful as always. Next to her, at the left head side of the table, sat Lord Ericson Acosta, the man of the household, and my father. His blonde hair, the one that my brother had inherited, was shining in the morning light, blue eyes twinkling and smile wide. My parents were both matching in navy blue, Ethan and I in sky blue. The family always had a theme strangely, even if it was just plotted behind our backs.

"Good morning, Mom-" Ethan interrupted me before I could address our father.

"Dad, is James really coming?"

My father's eyes flinched but he remained calm, "Yes, he is. We'll be sharing breakfast with the royal family, so I expect everyone on their best behavior. No yelling, no throwing forks, and especially no maple syrup. I've chosen anything besides pancakes for that specific matter."

"You children have proven to be incredibly reckless with pancakes." My mother said, adjusting the napkins in front of her. I took a seat next to her and sunk into my chair. My brother sighed and did the same.

"I have a feeling there's a script or something?" Ethan asked, and my father perked up.

"Oh yes, all of us will kindly and graciously get up out of our seats when they enter, bow, not walk over, and they will take their seats on the opposite side."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Really? That's it?"

"Yes. The problem is though, that the invitation was replied to as a 'maybe'."

"So we don't know if they're coming," Ethan concluded.

"No."

A silence panged through the room.

"What's the point of me being here then?" Ethan grumbled, beginning to get out of his seat.

"PRESENTING, THE ROYAL FAMILY!" A loud voice boomed throughout the room, and the dining hall doors banged as they opened.

Three figures stood in the empty space, and we all froze. However, what intrigued me most was the unfamiliar muscled figure, with hints of memories dented on him. One dimple on one cheek, dark chesnut hair, cobalt blue eyes, and a golden royal crest to match his aura.

James?

See the thing is.

A couple of months ago, Prince James wasn't muscular and tough and all golden-boy looking.

Well, he was, but in a different way. He wasn't scrawny, but he was skinny. Before, his hair fell down in front of his eyes and was combed back in public appearances, and he didn't really have muscles. He preserved his smile for reasons that truly deserved it and never used fake smiles. His aura was warm and metallic, like finding a dime in a jar of pennies.

This person was different.

He looked different, walked differently, smiled differently, smelled differently; It was so unnerving, so unsettling.