𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖚𝖆𝖑 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖑𝖔𝖌𝖚𝖊

23 years ago.... From whatever present time is.

(Amberly P.O.V)

I sat in the women's room of Aeliana's castle, watching Emilia in her crib as 4-year-old James fawned over her and 5-year-old Ethan watched the two carefully.

"I have a feeling they're going to get married when they grow up already," Aeliana said. I looked at her with obvious amusement, but she shrugged, "It's not a lie. My last matchmaking session ended up with a gallivant story, you know? I'll tell you next time you come over."

I looked at James' eyes, and then it hit me that what Aeliana said was true. His eyes were shining with adoration for Emilia, as he gently played with her little hands. He giggled every time she softly blabbered, and his face beamed with happiness. Ethan, like the big brother he was, watched them with a happy look on his face. He was already really good at this big brother thing.

"What was Eric's reaction?" Aeliana asked, moving onto the next subject.

"The nurse said he fainted. But when he saw her he couldn't stop crying. Ethan was the one who woke him up by dumping water on him," I answered, stifling my own laugh.

Aeliana sighed, "She's already a few weeks old, isn't she? They grow up so fast," she placed her chin on her palm, "Look at James. The boy went to the bathroom on his own last night, and even remembered to flush the toilet."

James walked to Aeliana and tugged the sleeve of her dress, "Mama, Emy sad." he said sadly. Ethan gently rocked Emilia's crib, frowning at her scrunched-up face as tiny cries broke out of her.

"I'm sure you can make her happy again." I said, holding his hand and walking over to Emelia's crib.

His eyes lit up with glee, and he gently tickled her stomach, making her giggle. Ethan realized the goal and began tickling her as well, smiling at Emilia's reaction.

The doors to the room opened and Eric and Benjamin strode in abruptly, interrupting the ongoing laughter and conversations.

"I'm sorry, love. The car is leaving soon and we need to get to a meeting in an hour." Eric said quickly

"That's alright. I'll grab Emilia's things." I stood up from the velvet chair and brushed my gown. James frowned.

"Emy going?" he asked Benjamin.

"She'll be back another time, son," he said gently. James looked at Emilia sadly.

"Bye-bye, Emy." he walked up to his mother and hugged her, burying his head in her overskirt.

I picked Emilia up from her crib and she stifled a cry. I shushed her softly and walked over to the table where I had kept her bag. Ethan walked to his father's side and Eric ruffled his hair.

"I'll take that," Eric said, swiftly taking the bag from my arms. He looked at Ethan, "Here wait," and bent down to tie his shoelaces.

James rushed over to me and clutched the fabric of my gown, "Stay." he said sadly. His face was so adorable, it was hard not to give in.

I crouched down to reach his height, "I'm sorry James, we have to go." He lowered his head.

"But we'll try to come as many times as we can, OK?" I added.

James smiled, "OK!"

Benjamin, Aeliana, and James walked with us to the car.

Eric shook hands with Benjamin, "Thank you for having us,"  Eric said politely.

"Anything for our dearest friends," Benjamin smiled and shook back.

"Just visit soon," Aeliana said.

"Of course," I said.

"Don't forget Emy," added James as Ethan released him from a hug.

Eric chuckled, "We'll definitely bring Emy."

"Bye-bye James. Bye-bye Auntie A and Uncle Ben." Ethan said, smiling, bowing deeply. I glanced at him with confusion. Something was off.

"Bye Ethan. Be a good boy." Benjamin said.

Ethan flashed him a mischievous smile, "OK!" He hopped into the car and Eric and I followed. Yes, something was definitely off.

The engine started up and Eric rolled down the window so we could all say the last goodbye. Aeliana was carrying James, who was positioned on her hip and Benjamin had his arm draped over her shoulders. The Deemer family waved goodbye and the car started out the driveway.

Almost 30 seconds after the car started driving, a yelp came from behind us, making us jump in our seats.

"Ethan," Eric asked exasperatedly. "What did you do?"

Ethan flashed his signature mischievous smile, which signaled he had done something, "The garden hose was just lying there."

Eric sighed and I stifled a laugh.

"Amber."

"I know, I know, tutoring."

Ethan looked up confused.

"Tu-Tutoring?" he stuttered, saying the word like it was a nightmare. '

"Don't worry. It won't be...terrible." I assured him.

---

Within minutes Ethan had gone to sleep.

I looked at Emilia, who was peacefully sleeping in my arms. The way James looked at her, almost like he was in love. It was imprinted in my mind. I wondered if Aeliana was right.

I glanced at Eric, who stared back at me, "What?"

I shrugged, "Nothing."

"All right, love," He pressed a kiss to my cheek, "Get some rest, you've been watching over Lia all day."

"Lia? Creative," I mused.

"Of course. Now sleep, love, we have a long way to go."