01. The Boy With A Sword

It all started when my parents decided that I shouldn't live in New York anymore. But that was a decision I agreed to with complete happiness. I was a sixteen year old and I loved West Niles. I was only seven when our family moved to New York. But I remembered the sunny days with my mom and Eira, the brownies my aunt used to make and everything. I never forgot anything about West Niles. My aunt was a beautician and I adored her.

"How was the school, dear ?'' Aunt Sue asked when she saw me coming through the door.

''It was fine. Eira and I made plans. We're going to shop together "

''Ah, Eira. I knew her mother.' Aunt Sue replied.

I smiled and went upstairs to my room. I have to convince her to give some money to me. I wasn't very fond of Eira. But she was my only friend and the oldest friend. So I figured that it would be very rude to say no.

I went upstairs and threw my bag on the floor. I sat on the bed and fetched my phone from my pocket. I stared at the screen where my parents and my dead brother were smiling at me. My brother died in a plane crash. It happened only a month ago. All the newspapers in the country had a leading day with the head line. I grieved, but it was more of a shock than grief. My brother and I were never that close. I lived with my parents while he went to a boarding school in the other side of the country. It was his choice and I sometimes got the feeling that he didn't like me. So I never felt the need to know him better. It has always been that way. My parents didn't see that my brother and I were nowhere near close as normal siblings should be. Because they were always busy. They went on with their own lives and expected us to do the same with ours.

I shoved the cell phone into my backpack and took a shower. Then I got dressed and went downstairs.

''Hey Andy, do you have any plans with your friends today ?" Aunt Sue asked.

''Nope. Free day.'' I jumped down the last few steps.

''Oh, perfect. I have this bride I have to dress and Naomi cancelled on me in the last minute and I really need another hand, Andy.'' She threw a hopeful look over her shoulder.

Good thing I have two hands then, I thought.

''Why did Naomi cancel ?'' I asked.

''No idea. I didn't ask. She said it was an emergency. Will you help me ?'' She smiled at me.

''Sure. So when is the bride's going to get here ?'' I opened a soda bottle and took a sip.

''Oh, the bride's not going to get here. We are going there.''

I tried not to let my smile waver.

''Don't worry. We'll be back before you know it. I only have to dress the bride. And...'' She kept going on about the wedding. I kept nodding politely but let my mind wander off to elsewhere.

* * *
I came out from the room and walked to the washroom. Aunt Sue was still spraying at the bride's hair as far as I know. My job was to do the little flower girls and the bride didn't want them too fancy which made the life easier for me. I went to the washroom and came back. That's when I caught my reflection in a mirror from the corner of my eye. So I paused there and studied my face. I loved the way I looked. I was beautiful and I didn't need anyone to tell me that.

I turned sideways, so that I was in the front of the mirror. Then I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my heart. I gasped as I closed my eyes. Uneasy crept into my bones. I didn't know why. I tried to gain control of myself, but the unease went away as soon as it came. I don't know if I'm going crazy or not, but the last time I got that pain was right before my cat died and I swear I knew something was going to happen right before it died. That pain was lighter than this time though. Last time it was my cat's death. Then what could be the reason to this time ?