Chapter 74: Invasion

Mudan

My heart hung heavy when the next morning came, and not just because we were woken up by Young Master Teng's screaming.

"Senior Renge stand alert!" He barked harshly, nearly tearing us out of our skin. Dong smacked his head upon the stone when he jerked awake. "Old Master will be putting you into groups, do not waste time!"

"Groups? Again?" Dong groaned distastefully. "Yes, because that turned out so well the last time."

We hurried to gather ourselves so we could report to Old Master. He stood at the base of the pass outside the cave, staring menacingly into the distance at the temple.

"You all have one role in this battle, and it is to clear out every Bai He that gets in my way," he said with an eerie calm. "Master Sanxian will be my responsibility. I will be splitting you up in directions you will attack from. Young Masters' Teng and Shui will accompany me as I go after Master Sanxian."

I wasn't surprised at all, Young Master Teng was Old Master's closest confidant and the eldest Young Master. Young Master Shui was just after him, they probably knew the Master of the Bai He Clan as well as he did.

"Young Masters Hova and Kanade will attack from the South and East with their groups. Young Master Sol and Young Master Yan Ri will attack from the North gate and clear out the courtyards. Young Master Shen will attack the outside and West, you will sweep the grounds with your group and make sure no one runs alive."

I looked to Shen to see how he was feeling. Predictably, he showed nothing but cold determination in his eyes. His hair was tightly tied to his knot, leaving dark strands to lightly hang on the sides. He gripped his double-bladed sword with firmness, there was no sign of vulnerability whatsoever.

I dreamt of him. Not in a weird way, but as a way to receive some sort of clarity within myself. Had I done the right thing? Had I been too lenient? Had I made it easy for him to walk over me and get away with it?

My paranoia still lingered. It was not welcome at the moment. I couldn't be dwelling on this, not right now. So I mentally pushed it aside.

"Young Masters, split the Senior Renge as I instructed," Old Master ordered. "We leave after."

Dong and I looked lostly at each other as the Young Masters began calling names. My stomach sunk, and I impulsively held onto his arm. He frowned down at me, then smiled with frail reassurance. I didn't want us to separate. Not again.

"Kai, Bhen, Wanli, Mina, Suna!" Young Masters Hova and Kanade called. I breathed out silently, relieved that Kai was not stuck with either of us.

Yeri, Yura, Chu, Dong and An Lan's names were called by Young Masters Yan Ri and Sol. My hopes were crushed like aged leaves cracking in the fall.

That left me...

"We're separated, again," I said hopelessly, dropping my hand from his arm. "You're fighting through the courtyards, that's going to be so dangerous-"

Dong shushed me and put his hands on both my shoulders. "I'm fighting with Young Master Sol and Young Master Yan Ri," he said. "I don't trust myself with my life, but I do trust them. We're going to be fine."

"Stay alive, okay? Or I will kill you," I threatened him, trying to mask the fact that I wanted to cry.

Dong didn't say anything, instead he pulled me in for a hug.

It was so public. So exposed, but I didn't care. I gripped him tight enough to cut off his circulation. The warmth of his arms seeped into my chest. I felt safe.