» twenty two «

Long chapter for the long wait <3

I waited for Puck as I usually did. I sat by my window, staring down at the front lawn pathetically, questions running around in my mind, refusing to be suppressed.

I longed for another bottle of my dad's wine, but I finished the last of it, and the fear of how he was going to punish me only dawned on me now.

I sniffed, feeling the sneeze that was coming on. After my soak-fest this morning, I had developed a cold and it was bothering me to the point where I could barely breathe through my nostrils.

Letting out a shaky breath, I paced my room as I waited for Puck to come. Only when evening approached did I allow myself to sit down, thinking he would arrive a few minutes later.

I was wrong. I was so, so wrong.

Gritting my teeth against the anger, I huffed and sat myself at my desk. I knew it. I knew it. Of course he wasn't going to come. I was stupid to believe him. I gave him the benefit of the doubt every time, and each time, I was left with nothing but disappointment and the feeling of betrayal.

God, why am I so stupid?

Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I grabbed a towel from my closet and made my way to the bathroom. Another bath would help me. Before I stripped, I made sure to curtain the windows thoroughly. God only knows if someone was still taking pictures. It was humiliating enough the first time.

Sinking against the soft foam of the bubbles, I sighed, my muscles relaxing instantly. The water wasn't warm enough due to the change in temperature, but it was better than nothing.

Resting my head against the edge of the bathtub, I allowed the ends of my lips to curve up at the corners, the feeling of bliss overtaking my body. I don't think I'd relaxed like this in so long.

I didn't seem to remember how long I sat there, soaking up the warmth and sighing each time I popped a bubble. It was like I was all by myself in my own little world. So when I heard something crashing from outside the bathroom, I startled so hard that I practically splashed all of the water out of the bathtub.

My heart raced as I reluctantly pulled myself out of the bathtub, wrapping a towel around my body. Softly, I padded out of the bathroom, silently closing the light on my way out, images of a person with a camera breaking into my house replaying themselves in my head, causing me to tighten the towel around me.

Breathing ragged, I tip-toed towards my bedroom, where I heard the crash come from, all the while holding my breath. As my bedroom came into sight, I halted, my surroundings eerily silent. For a second, I believed that I imagined the whole crash.

But then I heard the creek of the floorboards behind me, and my blood ran cold.

Breathing unevenly, I stood, frozen, in my spot as footsteps made their way towards me from behind. I looked down just as shoes stopped right behind me, the person dangerously close to my shivering body, breath fanning over my neck.

God. I breathed a quiet prayer, shutting my eyes close tight.

And then, quickly, without thinking, I spun, lifting my hand to punch whoever was behind me. A familiar grip caught my fist in their hand, and my eyes popped open in surprise, relief overtaking my body as I was met with Puck's dark eyes.

My shoulders slumped as I let out a shaky breath, bringing my hand to my towel-covered chest. "You scared me," I said, allowing myself to lean back against the wall.

"No shit," Puck replied, a chuckle leaving his mouth. I glared at him and he gave me a sheepish look. "Sorry. For scaring you and for...knocking your desk over."