» six «

There was a bruise on my face the next day - a big, hideous, purple one to the left side. When I looked in the mirror and saw it, I started crying. There was no way I could cover that big of a bruise, not even with the little makeup I had.

So I wore a hoodie to school, careful to make sure the hoodie sat where it could hide the bruise.

When I arrived at school, my gaze immediately found Owen and I remembered how we were going to get ice cream today. My mood lifted immediately...but then I saw who he was talking to. It was a girl - a really pretty one at that.

I sighed and sulked all the way to first period. Maybe it was for the better if Owen and I didn't interact anymore, not only because of Puck, but also because no one else would want to talk to him if he was seen with me, of all people.

Much to my satisfaction, Puck wasn't in class when I got there. And I took my normal seat happily, thanking God for the one small miracle today. It wasn't until later that day that things started going downhill.

"You still up for that ice cream?" Owen asked, finding me hiding out in the library with my painting supplies during lunch.

I jumped, startled and turned to look at him, clearing up my things quickly as I chuckled nervously. Puck wasn't here today, so maybe... Maybe I could have fun today. "Sure," I said, making sure my hoodie was hiding the bruise on my face.

"Cool," Owen exclaimed. "I'll wait outside for you after school. My car'll be easy to find - it's the only pink one in the parking lot."

Allowing my lips to curve up in a small smile at him, I nod slowly, watching as he gives one last glance at me before leaving the library.

Once I was sure he - and any other person - were out of hearing range, I let out a small, excited squeal. This was going to be a very good day!

»« »« »«

"Hi," I said breathlessly, beaming up at Owen once I caught up to him in the parking lot.

He smiled shyly. "Hey. You made it."

"Wouldn't miss it for anything," I exclaimed, watching in awe as he opened the passenger side door for me and helped me in like a gentleman.

"I'm glad," Owen responds once he's gotten into the drivers seat, clicking in his seatbelt. "So...I know a nice cafe not far from here. I know I said ice cream - and we can still do that if you want," he adds nervously. "But...you see, it actually belongs to my grandma. It's totally up to you."

I smiled, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. "The cafe would be perfect."

Owen's face lit up as he reversed the car out of the parking lot. "Great!"

The car ride there was mostly filled with awkward silence. A few glances were shared between us, but every time we caught the other's eyes, we'd look away nervously. So I'd opted to stare out the window - keeping an eye on Owen through the glass' reflection, but careful never to let him catch me looking whenever he glanced my way.

"We're here," Owen finally announced, breaking the silence as he turned off his pink car's engine. I was about to get out of the car but he was quick to bolt, arriving at the passenger's side door and opening it for me himself.

I bit my lip and smiled up at him. He was so different from Puck - more gentle and shy and...gentlemanly. He was nice - something a male has never been to me in my life. But there was still a feeling of wrongness inside my chest as I entered the cafe with him, his hand grabbing ahold of mines.