Chapter One - Cloud 9 - Chapter One

"The American superstore. One-stop shopping for everything you could ever want or need. Do you want to be thinner? Fatter? Happier? Sadder? Are you looking for friendship? Or solitude? Or even love?"

Genevieve fought to keep her eyes open as she stocked items on the shelves. She kept yawning, wincing as the bright fluorescent lights hurt her sensitive eyes. She wasn't even fully awake yet and her walkie talkie was already going off with an announcement from Dina. It was a demand that all employees meet her and Glenn in the break room for an emergency meeting. She warned everyone who wasn't in the meeting in exactly five minutes would suffer "severe" consequences. Genevieve rolled her eyes, typical Dina.

"Hey, bitch!" Cheyenne greeted her with a smile, walking alongside her to the breakroom, "What do you think Dina wants?"

"Honestly, it can be anything with Dina."

"Yeah. You're right." Cheyenne nodded, rubbing her pregnant belly, "Did you see the new guys?"

"Uh, no. Why?"

"One of them's pretty cute. I saw him talking to Amy earlier."

They entered the breakroom, passing by Sandra, Justine, Cody and Marcus who complained about being called in. Dina ushered everyone in, "Take a seat already!"

"Okay. Geez." Marcus sighed, sitting in the back of the room as usual.

"Oh, there he is." Cheyenne whispered into her ear as they sat down, nudging her arm, "He's cute, right?"

Before Genevieve could reply, Dina was starting the meeting, "All right, campers, listen up. I've got an important announcement. This is your garden variety generic decongestant. And this is crystal meth, okay? The tweakers use this to make this. So stop selling them this, so they can't make this."

"That guy told me he had a really bad cold." Cheyenne tried to defend herself, realizing the meeting was about her and a customer she rang up earlier.

"He was buying 35 boxes, Cheyenne." Dina said, "That should have been a red flag, okay? Use your noggin."

"Let's thank Dina for that helpful tip of the day. Thank you, Dina." Glenn started a round of applause.

"Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that she walking around with a bag of crystal meth?" Garrett commented, making Genevieve snort, trying to contain her laughter.

"Hey, listen. I think there might have been a misunderstanding. I'm not an elitist, so..." Everyone's attention was on the new guy who was failing to quietly whisper with Amy.

"Oh, elitist? What is that?"

"Like, a person who thinks they're better than ... you know what elitist means."

"Oh, yeah. They learnt that to us in public school."

"Anyway, I am so proud to welcome two new angels to our Cloud 9 family. Why don't you introduce yourselves? Okay." Glenn pointed towards the one chatting with Amy.

"Hello, everyone. I am Jonah. And I am-I am excited to be here. This is gonna be fun, so." Jonah smiled.

"My name is Mateo Fernando Aquino Liwanag, and I'm here to make something of myself. Spread my wings- Whoo! See how far I can fly. Thank you, thank you, thank you." Mateo stood from his chair, very enthusiastically.

"Yeah, I, too, would like to see how far I can fly. So." Jonah commented.

"Saved it." Garrett replied, sarcastically.

"Thank you."

"Now, I used to end these meetings with some wisdom from the Good Book. But then someone reported me to corporate." Glenn side eyed Dina.