Chapter Six - Superstore - Chapter Six

The beginning of the week didn't start so great. Genevieve was in the middle of cleaning up shards of glass from a broken can of pickles that a customers child decided to knock off the shelf and when confronted about it, the customer refused to pay despite being told about their store policy. Glenn tried to help with the situation, but Dina got involved and ended up banning the customer from the store. A situation that should've taken mere minutes lasted hours into that morning. Genevieve had an ongoing headache when she heard Cheyenne's screams from and aisle an ran to see a forming group.

"Guys?" Mateo was by her side, per usual.

"Okay." Amy asked, "Time to go to the hospital?"

"I don't think I'm gonna make it to the hospital." Cheyenne struggled to breathe, "I think I'm having this baby here."

"Okay. We need towels. Someone run to the store and buy some towels! No, wait!" Glenn shouted, "We're a store! Get some towels!"

"On it." Mateo ran off.

"You're not gonna have the baby in the store. You have plenty of time, Chey." Amy comforted her.

"And it could be false labor. You know?" Jonah piped in, "That's called a Braxton Hicks contraction."

"This baby is not gonna be born in Cloud 9."

"Maybe it's Braxton Hicks."

"Okay, we get it. You know the term Braxton Hicks. We're all very impressed."

"No, I'm having this baby here."

"I'm getting flashbacks from the Natalie Portman movie," Genevieve whispered, "You know, the one where she gives birth and lives in Walmart?"

"Okay, this is it! This is happening!" Glenn announced.

"I feel nothing." Dina shrugged, confused about the hysteria around her.

"Attention, shoppers. Is there a doctor in the Who am I kidding? This is Cloud 9. Anybody here watched a lot of "Grey's Anatomy?" Maybe "Nurse Jackie"? Not "The Knick."" Garrett's voice boomed over the loud speaker.

"Towels. Towels. Towels. Oh." Mateo was shoved aside, "Move! Pharmacist coming through. Step aside. I need room. All right, Cheyenne. I need you to listen to me here, and we will get through this. Now, in the last 24 hours, have you taken any medication I need to know about?"

"Just some Tums."

"Calcium carbonate. That's fine. It's not gonna harm the baby. All right."

"Oh, yeah. That's it?" Amy asked Tate, watching him take off his gloves.

"Well, yeah. I'm a pharmacist. I don't know how to deliver a baby. Gross. But, um, good luck. My training kicked in. You're welcome, everyone."

"Okay, that's good. If the contractions are longer, that means you're in it's called active labor, so I guess you're in active labor. I'm gonna go get some stuff." Jonah said.

"Okay, look. I took part in a cow birth once. The calf died, but I learned what not to do." Dina offered.

"Cheyenne, I want you to wait until you have an uncontrollable urge to push, okay? And then, you're gonna bear down with all your strength for ten seconds at a time, okay?" Glenn instructed.

"I can't believe you know how to handle this." Amy said, Genevieve hummed, "Same."

"Well, I played the abortion doctor in a Hell house once."

"Oh, cool."

"If it helps, I'm a trained midwife." As usual, Sandra was ignored.

"Garrett, you're filming this?" Everyone watched Garrett holding a new camera from electronics, "Yeah, for Bo. I figured he'd want to see it."