Chapter Twelve - Mateo Fernando Aquino Liwanag - Chapter Twelve

"Attention shoppers. It's Valentine's Day, and love is in the air, along with dust, pet dander, and toxic mold spores, so pick up a SuperCloud air purifier and convince yourself it's making a difference, which it's not, 'cause it's just a fan."

Genevieve watched the last minute Valentine's Day shoppers wipe out the aisle of candy, flowers, stuffed animals, and balloons before watching Sandra walk through the store with a big smile on her face.

"You guys, look what Jeff just sent me. "My precious treasure, words cannot express my love for you. And I love seeing you naked, because it's really good. Love, Mr. Man.""

"Wow, Jeff sent you those." Cheyenne said.

"That's, like, a hundred-dollar bouquet." Garrett whistled.

"Yeah, or like, 140." Sandra said, grinning.

"Seems so weird he'd send you a gift at work when your relationship is supposed to be secret." Mateo said, spitefully.

"I guess he really loves me, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Hey Heather! Look what Jeff just sent me."

"Oh, we need more tissue paper."

"What's wrong with him?" Genevieve and Garrett asked in union. Cheyenne sighed, "Well, it's because of a reason that I, I can't tell you."

"Hmm, I actually don't care, so..."

"Mateo's the one dating Jeff, okay?" Cheyenne spilled as they both started to leave, "And Sandra is just making it up to get attention."

"So Sandra has a fake boyfriend, she sent herself flowers, and Mateo is dating Jeff?"

"Yeah."

"This a quality Tuesday."

"Why?" Genevieve asked, "That seems like even too much for Sandra."

"'Cause Carol's dating the guy Sandra really likes."

"You know what we're doing today?" Garrett asked.

"Yup." Genevieve agreed.

They spent the rest of their morning shift watching Sandra brag about her fake relationship with Jeff and Mateo's reactions.

"This is so embarrassing. I always tell him, "Jeff, you're gift enough for me," but he won't listen."

"I'm not much of a romantic, but this is special stuff." Garrett said.

"Whatever. Do you know how many babies choke on balloons and die every year? I don't know, but it seems like a few would." Mateo scoffed.

"I'm just happy for Sandra. I mean, can you imagine what it's like to have what she has? mean, just to have a connection like that with someone. I bet Jeff just loves it."

"30. 30 babies die."

"Seems pretty serious to me." Genevieve said, following Garrett to customer service where he made another announcement.

"Attention shoppers. We just received a song dedication. This one goes out to "Sandra, my one and only. Happy Valentine's Day, Boo. Love, your Mr. Man.""

"What are you guys doing?" Jonah walked up to the counter, seeing them hold back their laughter.

"Nothing." Garrett wiped his eyes, giggling.

"L-Look at Mateo." Genevieve pointed. As Jonah looked around the store, and spotted him, the two burst out laughing. Jonah grinned at their reaction, shrugging, "What? What? I don't get it. Tell me."