Chapter Five: Gaia

The following Sunday was the longest day of my entire life. I couldn't bring myself to talk to or even look at either of my parents. Natalie didn't stop in at all; I assumed she was either at church, in big trouble, or both. Probably both. Mom tried to get me to talk at breakfast, but Dad quickly silenced her when he realized I wasn't in the mood. At one point I heard him tell her to just give me time. And so neither of them gave protest when I locked myself in my room all day, only coming out for meals and the use the toilet.

        Even with my books and writing to entertain my, I quickly grew bored. I managed to organize my room to my liking, for lack of anything better to do, so at least now the place seemed like it was mine. White curtains hung from the large window lining the wall opposite my bed; desks and shelves lining beneath the glass, surfaces organized neatly with assorted pencils, notebooks, a quill and vial of ink, and my typewriter. Yes, I used a typewriter. I still do, in fact. It was a present for my tenth birthday; it made me feel like a real author, especially after I used the quill and ink to sign the piece. And breaking out the red pen was always fun.

        All the same, the day was long. I cannot tell you how happy I was to remove myself from my room for supper, jump in the shower really quick, and go to bed, giving in to my imagination. Sleep would be welcome that night; I needed to escape reality. I needed to live in a dream. I needed my mind to transport me to another dimension.

        A dimension without the Meta.

:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:

        I awoke to the sound of tapping on glass, sunlight streaming in even through my curtains. I groaned, rolling over to look at the clock on my nightstand. Nine-thirty. Hm... I could probably fall back asleep for another hour or so. I pulled my comforter over my head, trying to block out the demonic sun.

        Tap, tap, tap.

        I frowned, squeezing my eyes closed tightly.

        Tap, tap, tap.

        I gripped the sides of my bed tightly, willing the sound away.

        Tap, tap--

        "Enough with the infernal tapping!" I roared, springing up from my bed. I yanked the curtains aside roughly to see a familiar freckled-face beaming at me shamelessly. I growled in the back of my through and opened the window.

        "What do you want this early in the morning?" I asked, voice dripping with an exasperation I wasn't even trying to mask.

        "Well good morning to you, too, Grumpy Pants," Natalie responded cheerfully, clearly oblivious to just how much I hated her right then and there. "Why do you still have our pajamas on?"

        I rolled my eyes. "Um, I don't know, maybe because I was sleeping?"

        Natalie just laughed. "Well, at least you're awake now. Get dressed and get out here; I want you to meet someone."

        "If she's anything like you, then I don't want to meet her," I muttered, already closing the windows and curtains so I could get dressed. Hopefully whoever this was wasn't as bubbly and friendly as Natalie. I didn't know how much more of that I could stand, and I had only known the girl for a few days. Please, I silently prayed. Please let Natalie be one in a million! Please don't let another befall me!

        One Natalie, I could handle. Two? Probably not.

        I yanked on a faded pink spaghetti-strap tank-top and a pair of ragged jean shorts I had picked up from Goodwill a few months ago. They were tattered, sure, but they were worn in and comfy, so I didn't mind. I hurriedly tied my sneakers in place, stuffed my cheap cell phone in my pocket, and ran out of my room.