Chapter 9

Damon was driving down a long stretch of back road in the middle of nowhere. Him and Katherine had left Mystic Falls the night before and she still hadn’t told him where they were going. With the crap he was already dealing with, he was losing what little bit of patience he had left and he was only going to play her game for a little while longer before he got fed up and took matters into his own hands.

“You hungry?” asked Katherine absently, her head resting on the palm of her hand. “Let’s stop for a bite. My treat, I’ll hunt them down and everything.” She smirked playfully.

Damon was not amused. “You think you’re cute but you’re not.”

“Don’t lie Damon. It doesn’t suit you. I mean come on, how could you not think I’m cute when you’re in love with someone who looks just like me.” She sneered contemptuously. “The mediocre version, but whatever.”

Damon chuckled and then with a serious expression said, “Katherine, you couldn’t hold a candle to the woman I’m in love with.”

Katherine’s brows furrowed in confusion as she gave him a questioning glance, but Damon didn’t elaborate. Deciding it wasn’t worth her precious time she let it go.

Damon stared at the endless road ahead of him. Even though miles and miles of nothing surrounded them on all sides he felt like the walls were closing in on him.

“How much farther till we get there?” he asked irritably.

“As far as it takes so you can’t go running back,” she answered mildly, while examining her perfectly manicured fingernails.

“I already told you I’m in no hurry to go back.”

“You and your precious Elena fighting already?” She asked, feigning a pout.

Damon gripped the steering wheel, annoyed with the topic of conversation. “Lets just say I don’t like being put on a leash.”

She moved closer to him and looked at him seductively. “She likes to pretend you’re a hero, but we both know that’s not who you are.”

Damon cringed as Katherine ran her fingers across his chin. “Could you move back to your seat please?”

She pouted, but made no attempt to move away from him. Instead she put her mouth right next to his ear and whispered in a sultry voice, “Come on. I won’t tell.” She turned his face toward hers and put her lips on his.

Damon entertained the idea of kissing her back for a millisecond, but Bonnies face flashed in his mind and he recoiled, shoving Katherine back into her seat. “Get off me.”

Outraged and embarrassed at being turned down so brutally she said, “What the hell Damon?”

Damon rolled his eyes at her and sneered. “What can I say…you’re just not my type anymore.”

She straightened herself up in her seat and muttered, “Your loss.”

Damon snickered. “Hardly.”

They drove for awhile longer in silence. Damon watched as they passed small town after small town, each one reminding him of Mystic Falls and the people he was leaving behind. After the fourth or fifth small town Damon had had enough. He jerked the wheel, turning the car onto the side of the road, slammed on the breaks, then shut the engine off.

Katherine, who had fallen asleep some time ago came awake as she was jerked around in her seat from the sudden movements, but gained her composure quickly. She looked around, taking in her surroundings and gave Damon a questioning stare. “What are you doing? We’re not there yet.”