Episode 1. Pilot | 1

We're the Pogues, and our mission this summer is to have a good time, all the time.

John B was balanced on one foot, the other foot dangling over the edge of the building, a beer in his left hand.

Pope watched his best friend with a shake of his head, "That's what, a three-story fall to the deck?"

"I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." Julianne added.

John B cocked his head to the side, "Hm." He stuck his finger in his mouth, then raising it to the sky. "Should I do it?"

"Yeah, you should jump." Pope joked with him. JJ lifted his gaze from the ocean, tuning in to the scene around him.

Pope held up a drill at the boy, "I'll shoot you on the way down."

"You're gonna shoot him?" Julianne questioned.

Pope nodded, "Yep."

Kiara walked out from under the deck, giving her friends a strange greeting, "They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers."

JJ wasn't shocked by the rich peoples requests, "Of course. Why wouldn't they?"

Kiara went on, "This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess."

The blonde boy shook his head, "I can't have cold towels."

Kiara ignored him, looking up at John B, "Can you please not kill yourself?"

JJ followed her gaze, "Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one."

At that very moment, John B lost balance, "Woah, shit!" The beer falling down the three-story drop, smacking the deck with a loud thud.

"Of course you did." JJ said.

Julianne shook her head at his idiocy, "Smooth."

John B groaned and Pope clapped his hands, "A plus."

Kiara couldn't believe him, "Dumbass."

Suddenly, security pulled up, catching the group red handed, "Hey!"

Pope was the first to notice him, "Hey, uh, security's here." He turned back to his friends, "Let's rap it up."

"The boys are here early today." John B said as JJ prompted the group to leave.

"Let's go, boys. And girl." Kiara smirked, ready to run from security.

The group began to leave, JJ not being able to contain his mocking of the guard, "Gary is that you?"

The group ran through the house, jumping into their van, taunting the guard, much to Julianne's dismay, as he tried to catch them.

The Outer Banks, paradise on Earth. It's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island.

All right. This is the Figure Eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. So, guess where we don't live.

And then this is the South side or the cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... drum roll, please.. the Pogues. That's us.

Pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish. Lowest member of the food chain. Okay, so the downside of Pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. The upside of the Pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want.

The focus was on a blonde boy.

That's JJ, my best friend since the third grade. He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. Best surfer I know. Just don't tell him I said that. Mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat.