Episode 2. The Lucky Compass | 8

A/N For now on, the italics are going to be John B's Narrating. So, even though it's in Julianne's point of view, the italics are going to be the narrating. That's all. Bye!

Julianne Bailey Routledge

Look, for nine months, everybody tried to get me to believe my dad's dead. They say I'm in denial. Whatever. Denial's underrated. You should try it sometime.

It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong. Julianna can't even say his name or hear anything about him without crying, so, I'm doing better than somebody.

It doesn't make any sense. Our dad is the last guy who ever get lost at sea. This compass coming back to us, our father's compass, which was passed down for generations, it's a sign. Our dad is still alive and I'm gonna find him.

"Be quick, John B." I told my brother as he docked the boat. He was returning the gear that we stole.

"I will." He reassured, walking down to the Cameron's boat. I stayed low, just in case my ex-girlfriend decided to make an appearance. I really didn't want to hash out old drama right now.

I bit my lip, waiting for him to return. I also didn't want him being caught and fired. This job was our only source of income at the moment.

He finally came back, looking flustered.

I titled my head at him, "What happened in there? Why do you look like that?"

He scratched the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact, something he did when he lied.

"Uh, n-nothing. Nothing. Let's head back." He said, still not looking at me. It was obvious that something happened, but he wasn't going to tell me.

"Mhm, whatever." I said.

"So, what's going on with you and JJ?" He asked, changing the subject.

I gaped at him, pressing my lips in a fine line, "What's going on with you and Kie?"

He didn't respond. Silence falling over us. I guess we both had a thing for each others best friends. When we returned home, there was a DCS flyer on our door, both of us choosing to ignore it.

We went our separate ways, John B going into his room, aka our dads room, and I falling asleep on the couch.

I woke up to pounding on the door, "DCS! I know you're in there?" I snapped up, my eyes widening. Despite just waking up, adrenaline was running through me. I was prepared to make a run for it.

Suddenly, JJ's figured appeared in the window, smacking the glass. I shrieked, falling off of the couch. He started laughing, going on about my face. I huffed, opening the window so he could come in.

"Where's your brother?" He asked, climbing into our house.

"Asleep. I would be too, if someone had just come in like a normal person." I growled at him, flopping back on the couch.

He shook his head, pulling me up, "Nope. We're going."

He left the room, returning with a sleepy John B. He dragged the two of us to the car, John B getting in the drivers seat.

The boys indulged in a conversation, I tuned them out. My ears perked as they started talking girl talk.

JJ voice filled my ears, "I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara. She clearly likes you. She's like," He did his girl voice, "'Oh!, John B!'"