Episode 6. Parcel 9 | 23

Julianne Bailey Routledge

There are only three kinds of relationships in the animal kingdom. The first is commensalism. One example.. fish finding hiding spots in the coral reefs. Fish profit, but life for the coral doesn't change.

Then, there's mutalism... a relationship where both animals benefit from each other. The tricky thing about animals is you don't always know what kind of relationship you're in.

Which brings me to relationship number three. The parasitic.

Pulling up to the Cameron's mansion was honestly intimidating. I had been here plenty of times, but this time.. it was home. John B and I glanced at each other, both of us already nervous.

Ward flashed us a smile, "Welcome home, kids."

I was sat in my room, which was next to my brothers, as Sarah showed John B to his. Ward came and stood in my doorway after a moment, gesturing me to follow him into John B's room.

Sarah was standing next to John and Ward shook his head, "You've already broken the first rule. What is the first rule? Stay out of each other's rooms. All right, seriously. Picture that," He pointed at the door, "as a boundary. This is like a minefield. Yes, sir?"

Sarah nodded, "Yes, sir."

"Yes, sir, yeah." John B stuttered. I only nodded.

"All right. Sarah, can you give me and the new inmates a quick minute here?" Ward asked his daughter.

She nodded, and muttered, "Please be nice." To her dad as she left. I sat next to John B on his bed, bracing myself for this conversation.

He spoke to John B first, "How you doin'? How's the arm?"

"Uh, better."

"You're lucky. Fall any other way, you don't hit that sand, could've broke both your legs and your back."

"Yeah, I'm super lucky. I just wanna say thank you for sticking up to DCS for us."

Ward shook his head, "Don't even think about it. Happy to do it. One other thing. Um.. Last night, Sarah was in my office, and she was getting a map, and she said it was for you, and.. I'm sorry but I just have to ask."

I could feel my throat closing at he said his next words, "You're not chasin' after pots of gold like your old man, are you, guys?"

John B was silent for a moment, coming up with a lie, "Look, Mr. C, uh.. Sarah just told me you guys had some cool old maps. I'm kind of a history buff myself, and, uh.. that, I guess, I got from our dad, so.."

Ward smiled and nodded, "That makes sense."

One question still lingered in my mind; How did Ward know that our dad was searching for the gold?"

Ward made a move to leave, "Anyway, uh.. take it easy the next couple days, all right? You've been through a lot, you too, Julianne."

John B gave each other a glance and I huffed, "How did he know that dad was looking for the gold, huh?"

John shrugged, "I don't know. Him and dad were probably friends."

Something still felt off to me, "I don't know, John.. I just feel like something wrong."

He dismissed me, "It's fine, Jules. Go get some rest or something."

I got up, leaving the room. I knew that something wasn't right, but I took my brothers advice and I fell asleep, dreaming of heaps of gold.