Episode 1. Pilot | 5

A/N This chapter will be in third person/John B's, because there's more narrating in this. So, enjoy a little bit of everyone's minds!

With props in hand, the Pogues made their way to the beach, all of them, except Julianne, was ready to get absolutely plastered. Julianne didn't like these events, but was often dragged into them anyway.

Within an hour, the party was in full swing. People from all around the island showed up for the event.

All right, you can't understand the Outer Banks without understanding the boneyard. It's kind of like a three-layer burrito.

There's us and our friends, the working-class derelicts from the cut.

And then, there are the Kooks, the rich second-homers. They're mostly from pouncey-ass boarding schools, the rich trustafarian posers. Our natural enemies.

And then, there are the Tourons. Totally clueless. Here for a week on vacation with their families. Chum for the sharks.

The group was mingling with everyone. John B buzzing with the tourists and Kiara talking about astrology signs with a Kook, oddly enough. And Pope, well, he was having an interesting conversation with a girl.

In the distance, a girl was sat on a life-guard post, her boyfriend urging her to get down.

Kiara noticed the girl, walking up behind Julianne, "What is she doing here?"

That's Sarah Cameron. Kook princess. Kiara's best friend and Julianne's girlfriend in the ninth grade, their worst enemy in the tenth grade. I work on her dad's boats and she dated my sister, so, you know, I've seen her around.

Then that's Topper, her not so pleasant boyfriend. Topper actually thinks Pogues were bred to mow lawns.

The night went on and at some point, JJ spotted Sarah. JJ had always been a bit protective over his best friends twin sister. He remembered the day that Julianne came home crying after Sarah cheated on her. JJ decided to mess with Sarah a bit.

"Sarah, can I interest you in a tasty me wonky beverage?"

Sarah shook her head, a smile on her face, "No, thanks."

JJ was drunk and not registering what he was saying, "Come on, is it not fancy enough for you?"

"No, we're just leaving." Sarah replied. She was always very sweet, despite what anyone thought about her.

Topper, being over protective, stepped in, "Hey, you know what? I'll take it. Thank you, man. I appreciate it."

JJ gave him a sarcastic nod, "That's nice, but I didn't ask you. If you said pretty please, maybe, but you didn't."

Topper nodded, giving JJ the same energy, "Oh, pretty please."

JJ kept trying to give the drink to Sarah, Topper throwing the beverage into JJ's face. JJ shoved Topper, both Sarah and John B trying to calm the two down.

Julianne and Pope noticed what was happening and ran over to help John B contain JJ.

"Dirty Pogues!" Topper shouted at them, setting off John B. John couldn't help himself from getting a nasty shove in, Julianne pulled her twin away from him.

Sarah tried to hold Topper back, but he pulled out of her grip, throwing a punch into John B's face, knocking him to the ground.

"Hey, John B, don't make me drown you or your sister like your old man, all right." Topper threatened, glancing at Julianne. Topper kicked John B into the water.

There were two things everyone knew not to say to John B. Those two things had to do with his father and his sister, which Topper did both. John B got up, tackling Topper to the ground.

A crowd formed, half of them egging them on, and the other half begging them to stop. And by other half, I mean Pope, Kiara, Julianne, and Sarah.

John B ended up in the water, Topper holding him under, drowning him.

Julianne grabbed onto JJ's arm, burying her head into his shoulder, tears already falling down her face. Julianne couldn't handle any mention of her father, and seeing the only family she had left being drowned, threw her into hysterics.

JJ peeled the girl off him, looking into her eyes, "I got this. It's fine."

JJ went up behind Topper, pulling out the gun, and pressing it to his head. Everyone's yelling came to a hold and Topper froze.

"Yeah, you know what that is." JJ said to him, Topper letting go of John B.

Everyone began fleeing the beach, only Sarah and the Pogues staying in their spots.

"JJ! Put the gun down!" Sarah yelled at JJ, thinking that he was out of his mind.

"Did you say something, princess?!" JJ shouted back at her.

Topper put his hands up, showing that he was no longer holding John B down, "We're good. We're good."

"Jules!" Sarah yelled at Julianne, "Can you check your psycho friend, please?!"

"Okay, everyone listen up!" JJ shouted, holding the gun into the air, "Get the hell off our side of the island!" He fired 3 shots into the sky, everyone holding their hands over their ears.

Pope ran up to JJ, shouting, "Are you crazy? You idiot!"

Kiara shoved JJ, "Stupid!"

"Why would you do that!" Pope continued.

Kiara raised her voice, "It's not worth it!"

JJ shoved Pope back, "I was saving his life, okay?!"

Julianne was frozen, not being able to comprehend what just happened. Kiara noticed her being a statue, registering the tears falling down her face, and wrapped her arms around her.

When JJ caught sight of how distraught Julianne was, he immediately regretted it.

John B fell back into the water, welcoming the air back into his lungs, a vision of his father appearing in front of him.

There's something about my father I haven't mentioned. Not even to Julianne. The week before he went missing, he says to me, "Bird, I think I found something. Your Uncle T's gonna come stay for a while. I might have to vanish for a bit.".

So, he talks about vanishing, and then he vanishes. Everyone says he was lost at sea, but... he's still out there. I know it.

 I know it