Chapter 3

As I sit in my chemistry class, I still can't get my mind off of the kiss.
His lips were so much softer than I imagined they would be.
It may not have been a real kiss between us, but it's definitely the best kiss I've ever had.
I feel a tap on my shoulder. I look to my right, at my lab partner, Jake. AKA Luke's best friend. Also a good friend of mine. We've been a trio ever since Luke and Jake met in the 6th grade. But then there's Olivia who's been with us since freshman year.
"You alright?" He asks me, tilting his head.
I look around and see that Mr. Kaminsky let everyone go over their chemistry packets with their table partners. Wow I've been so spaced out just thinking about the kiss.
I nod and smile tightly. "Yeah sorry, just spaced out."
He smiles softly. "Okay, well I need your help on question 18. Which is more math than chemistry by the way."
I chuckle and shake my head. "All chemistry involves math, but yeah I kind of had trouble on that one too, but I think I got it."
I take out my work packet and go over the question with him.
20 minutes later, the bell rings. Mr. Kaminsky tells us to finish the packet for homework and tells us to have a good weekend.
Me and Jake are walking to the cafeteria for lunch when we see Lexi and her groupies ahead of us.
I shake my head in disgust. "Still can't believe that bitch did that to Luke."
Jake nods. "I know, it was cruel. It felt good kicking them out last night though." Jake smirked.
I laugh and turn my head towards him. "Wait, you mean when you kicked everyone else out at 1:00 right?"
He winces and looks at me. "I might've taken the pleasure of asking them to get the fuck out' right after you went after Luke."
My mouth is agape for a moment before I laugh. I give him a side hug. "You're amazing, I love you."
He chuckles and hesitates. "I love you too." He says in a serious tone.
I don't know why, but that felt like he meant that in a different way. Olivia keeps telling me Jake has a thing for me, but I always brush it off with "We're just friends." But sometimes when I catch Jake looking at me with a smile or when he gives me a small touch on my back or arm now and then, it makes me believe that less.
I pull away and pretend I didn't sense the weird tension I just felt between us. I changed the subject to Olivia, who's been sick at home, and how I think we should visit her after school.

       Jake and I grab our lunches and head for our regular table, which is full of jocks and cheerleaders, considering Luke is the star player on the football team. Luke finds my eyes and smiles widely. I think my heart stopped.
       I take a deep breath and smile back. The seat to his right is always left empty for me. I can't help but think that's what a boyfriend would do. I guess best friends would too, but sometimes I like to pretend that me and Luke are actually a couple. Even most of the people we come across always assume that we're a couple. I don't blame them though. Luke is always either holding my hand or laying  his arm across my shoulder, which makes it hard to believe that we're not a couple.
       "There's my girl." Luke throws his arm across the back of my chair when I sit down.
       I smile. "Hey."
       Him and Jake do their weird guy handshake thing as he takes a seat on the other side of him. 
       The seat next to me is usually Olivia's, but since she's out sick, Caitlin, the cheerleaders squad captain sits next to me, obviously trying to get closer to Luke, who is now available.
       Ever since Lexi and Luke broke up just a week ago, a lot of the girls have tried getting closer to me. But I knew they were just trying to get to Luke through me so I always make up some fake excuse to not hang out with them, until they eventually give up. Every single girl at this table is trying to talk to him. But all he does is focus his attention on me.
       "Wanna come over after school? I know you wanted to have a marathon of Twilight or something, right?." He asks, having to lean closer so I can hear him over the noise.
       I laugh and turn to him. "Would you really watch all of them with me?" I tilt my head, curious.
       "If that's what it takes to hang out with you, I'll have to make some sacrifices." He wears a serious expression.
       I punch him in the arm. "You're such a prick."
       He laughs and holds his shoulder where I punched him. "You love me."
       I shrug and turn back to my food. "Eh."
       He holds his chest in mock hurt and scoffs. "Way to break a guys heart, that's like the third time this week."
       I stop eating and look at him. I know he was only trying to joke about that but he did just get his heart broken.
       "How are you holding up?" I ask.
        Luke sighs and looks down, playing with his food. "I just wish she at least acted like she misses me."
       I look up and find Lexi and her posse a few tables down from us, laughing and gossiping. I shake my head. "She does. It may not look like it, but she does."
       He looks into my eyes. "How do you know that?"
       I smile sadly and lean closer to whisper in his ear. "You're Lucas Grey for crying out loud, she'd be insane not to."
       He smiles and looks gratefully into my eyes. "Thanks."
       "Anytime."