14

You didn't get to do too much reading with Tubbo, because about an hour in, Puffy called everyone up on deck. Now, you stood with Tubbo at your side near the edge of the ship, watching as the rest of the crew milled about on deck as well, waiting for Puffy to tell you all why she had gathered everyone here. 

Tubbo rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet excitedly. He had been acting coy since you had been gathered on the deck, but he wouldn't utter a word as to what it was - you knew he knew the reason. 

"You're sure you can't tell me Tubbo?" You asked again. 

Tubbo just shook his head, pressing his lips together. "It's a surprise." He said, a slight giggle in his voice.

He was a spoiled brat, captains son or not. 

It didn't matter for too much longer though, because soon enough Puffy was striding out of the captain's cabin, Gemma in tow. The crew perked up as they made their way up to the helm of the ship, slowly shuffling in closer together to peer up at them. 

Puffy had a wide grin on her face when she turned to face the crew. "We're breaking out the rum tonight, gents." She announced. "According to that map, we're only about a week out from the treasure at the end!"

The crew broke out into a series of whoops and cries, and even though you shouldn't have, you couldn't help but smile yourself at the sudden energy on board. There were smiles and people were clapping each other on the back. Already, you could see bottles of rum being passed around, and there was a festivity in the air that hadn't been there before. 

A bottle was pressed into your hands and you turned to see one of the cooks from the galley - her arms full of bottles of beer. She grinned down at Tubbo, and pulled a special little bottle from her bundle, handing it to him. You raised and eyebrow and she just laughed, winking at you. 

"Apple juice." She whispered. "Just so that he doesn't feel left out."

Tubbo knocked back the bottle like a pro, taking a hefty swig. You laughed and took a swig from your own bottle, letting the alcohol sting your tongue. It tasted like shit, but you didn't care - you were too wrapped up in the energy on board.

The sun was just an orange sliver on the horizon, and someone had brought out a bunch of instruments - you heard an accordion, as well as something that sounded like a fiddle. The tune was lively and jovial, and already people were sweeping up their friends into dances. It was crazy how happy everyone was just from hearing that they were close to the treasure - they hadn't even gotten there yet, but they were celebrating like the island was in sight. 

You were getting too fond of these people. 

You took another sip from your bottle to distract yourself, watching as Tubbo made a beeline for his mother in the flock of dancers, latching onto her trousers and grabbing her hands. Puffy grinned down at her son, letting him step on her feet so that she danced him around. The music wasn't great - most of the notes were at least a little flat - but watching Puffy and Tubbo's clunky little dance made it sound better, somehow. 

You could see just how much she loved her son in the way that she smiled down at him. It was strange to think that this was the same woman who had sunk an entire navy ship like it was nothing. Yet here she was, dancing with her son and her crew - she had been the one to deem this night a celebration, just to take a break and because her crew had been working hard towards the treasure.

Sometimes, she felt less like a captain and more like a mother. But that might have just been because you were used to the strict regimen of the navy ships. 

As if feeling your eyes on her, Puffy turned her head, catching your eye. You smiled thinly - not wanting her to think you were staring her down or anything - and she seemed mildly surprised at that. She smiled back though, before her attention was back on Tubbo, swinging him around the deck as he laughed and hung onto her waist for dear life. 

You stood on the sidelines of the deck, alternating your attention between the glitter of the dying sun on the waves and the dancing on the ship. The stars were just beginning to peek out overhead, and as the sun slipped below the ocean fully, the only light left was that of the lanterns around the ship, painting everyone in a golden glow. 

You finished your bottle and set it beside you on the rail, leaning your elbows against the sun bleached wood. Tubbo was riding on Puffy's shoulders now as she danced with Gemma. Your fingers twitched at your side - part of you wanted to go dance with them, but you knew you probably wouldn't be wanted. You didn't belong here, really, and everyone was such a close knit family already. 

Still, it would be nice to be part of this. Spending your days taking care of the ship with Gemma, your afternoons tutoring Tubbo, and your nights enjoying the starry sky with the rest of the crew. Being part of this would be different than being part of the navy - being a part of this crew was being accepted and respected and a friend to the rest of the people on board the ship. It would be nice, to have someone like Puffy accept you into her crew. 

You blinked at the traitorous though - since when did you want to earn a place here, much less Puffy's respect?

You were growing way too fond of these people.