Chapter 5 - Mittens

Luz sat in her next class, anxiously watching her arm for more roses, but none appeared. Her teacher was talking about how to clean a crystal ball, but her mind was far away. Willow had explained to her between classes that the reason she acted weird during lunch was because of her soulmate, though she wouldn't say much about it no matter how much Luz pried. That knowledge reminded Luz that soulmates were real and that her being in the demon realm might mean that she could see her indicator. Maybe it was that when her soulmate drew on their arms, Luz could see it too. That had always been one of her favorite fanfiction tropes. Whoever her soulmate was, assuming her theory was correct, had spent the day anxiously doodling roses on their arm. 

'Wow, this is a lot more anxiety-inducing than it seems in the fanfictions,' she thought, tapping her pen nervously between her fingers. She considered writing something to test her theory, maybe even being able to talk to her soulmate, but decided to wait a bit longer. Despite all the whisper-yelling she'd done to the characters in the stories she read, she immediately took on the same anxious thoughts that always annoyed her so much. What if they didn't like her? What if they're human and can't see it, meaning they'd likely never meet? What if they're a witch and doesn't like her because she's human? What if she makes a bad first impression? No, you can't think like that, Luz, or all the Wattpad commenters will yell at you. Wait, this isn't a fanfiction. Agh, this is too much.

Luz dragged her hands down her face, trying to clear her thoughts. They were getting way too meta. She took a deep breath and set down her pen. Just because this is more than likely her soulmate indicator didn't mean she had to interact with it right at that moment. She decided that she'd wait until she was ready. In the meantime, she'd pick up a rag and clean her crystal ball just like the teacher instructed.

~ Perspective change brought to you by the night critters allowing you to sleep~

Amity paced the hall, shaking her hands nervously. "So she had doodles on her arm. That doesn't mean anything. She probably just doodled on her arm too. Just a coincidence." She sighed and leaned against a locker, yelping and jumping away as the locker nibbled on her cloak. Amity knew better than that. There was no way that Luz had doodled on the same arm, the same way, the same day that Amity had done so.  That kind of coincidence just didn't happen. But then again, Luz didn't say anything about doodles showing up on her arm. And if she was her soulmate, what then? Of course, Amity had a huge, embarrassing crush on the human girl and she'd be ecstatic to discover that they were soulmates. But what would that mean for their future? They couldn't be together, at least not publicly. 

The witch glanced up at the clock and saw that she still had time before Luz got out of class. Since this period was a free period for Amity, she wandered to the school library where Edric and his boyfriends likely were, all three also having a free period. She had always suspected that the three trouble-makers had somehow ensured they'd all have a free period together but she never bothered to push it.

 Sure enough, when she arrived, the three boys were all sitting at a table. Edric and Jerbo sat next to each other on the bench, Barcus curled up across both their laps. They had books sprawled over the table before them but it seemed that the boys had gotten distracted in a heated debate. 

"We don't need a two-bedroom, we're broke enough as it is," Jerbo was saying.

Barcus barked something that Amity wasn't close enough to hear that clearly frustrated Jerbo.

"I think Barcus is right about the potion room, sweetheart," Edric said, rubbing one hand along Jerbo's and the other hand rubbing Barcus' ears. That's when he noticed that Amity was there. "Oh, hey there, Mittens!"