Chapter 13 - Haven

Luz paced back and forth in her room. She knew that Amity was likely telling her parents about them at that moment and she was worried sick. Every moment that she went without word from Amity filled her with anxiety. Finally, she sighed and sat on her bed, staring at her arm for some sort of sign as to what was happening. After a minute of nothing, Luz sighed and stood up again to go downstairs to find a way to distract herself from her anxieties until there was news. Maybe Eda needed help figuring out what some new human items were. However, as she reached for the door handle, a blunt pain seared into her arm. The feeling was soon followed by a quick, sharp pain on her cheek. She fell to the ground and yelped in surprise and pain, her eyes squeezed shut and the hand not held by pain to her cheek. She felt the pressure around her arm get worse and worse as if there were a grip around her arm and it only became tighter. 

The door swung open and Camilla came running in, immediately dropped to her knees to come to Luz's level. 

"¿Qué pasó, Mija? ¿Estás bien? Are you hurt?" She asked hurriedly, worry in her eyes. In the embrace of her mother, Luz adjusted to the pain and opened her eyes again. She looked down at her wrist and saw a red mark in the shape of a hand wrapping around her. She watched and yelped once more as she saw small crescent shaps dig into her arm, breaking skin. She figured it must be the nails of the hand digging into the skin. Suddenly, the pressure dissipated and Luz let out a sigh of relief. 

"I think... I think Amity told her parents..." Luz breathed, worry filling her voice. She reached up and touched a hand to her cheek and winced.

Amity's mother threw her to the ground by the grasp she had on her arm. Amity rubbed the marks on her arm while she stared up at her mother in terror. 

"Amity  Blight, I forbid you from leaving this house to see that girl," her mother hissed, taking another step closer to her. Her mother's tall figure covered the chandelier, leaving Amity sitting vulnerable and cold in her shadow. Her instincts told her to retreat into herself to do whatever her mother asked of her as she'd spent her life doing. But, before she could, she felt a tingle on her arm. A half-second long glance down at the spot where a small heart had been drawn told her that Luz was supporting her even from all the way at the Owl House. She stood, confidence filling her body and controlling her actions. She drew up her shoulders and held her chin high as she met her mother's eyes. Her mother seemed surprised by her sudden bout of confidence, catching her off-guard long enough for Amity to slip away from her and walk towards the door. 

"If you walk out that door, Amity, you will no longer be a Blight."

Amity turned around with a smile on her face. "And thank the titan for that." 

Her mother gasped. "You will never be welcome in this home again. I will not have you taint the Blight name!"

"Good riddance, then."

With that, Amity strutted out of the dining room with a little wave. She paused by her room to collect a suitcase that she had packed before dinner just in case and then popped into the twins' room to see Emeria doing the same. Edric was sitting on the bed with a suitcase beside him as well, ready to leave too.

"I take it you boys found an apartment?" Amity observed, motioning to the suitcase beside her older brother. He looked up at her and smiled. 

"We were close to giving up before Jerbo overheard one of the teachers, that guy who just quit, talking about moving to Bonesbrough. Turns out, his apartment was going for cheap and it's exactly what we needed! I didn't want to tell anyone until we got the keys and, well." He pulled a large, old skeleton key out of his pocket and grinned. Amity rushed to him and threw him into a hug.