Chapter 6 - Study Break

The bell screamed and Luz shot out of her seat like a bullet. She ran out of the door and almost ran smack into Amity for the second time that day. Luckily, she caught herself and screeched to a halt no more than an inch away from her face. Amity's cheeks quickly dusted pink as she took a few steps back, putting a less intimate distance between them. "Luz! What... What's up?" She muttered, mentally smacking herself.

"Nothin' much, just getting ready to go to my best friend's house!" Luz smiled wide, making the witch's heart flutter. "Are you ready to go?" 

"Uh, yeah, let's go."

~Time skip brought to you by the horrifying human!king art~

Amity and Luz sat on the green-haired girl's bed, both reading a section of text out of a textbook. Amity couldn't help but steal glances away from the text to glance at the brunette beside her. She glanced down and noticed how close their hands were to each other. Glancing back at Luz, she slowly inched her fingers closer to her, hoping to cross their pinkies. Just as she raised her pinky to touch the other girl's hand, Luz moved it to pick up the textbook and bring it closer to them. 

"Okay, I think I get it," she said with a confident smile. Amity cursed under her breath and looked up at Luz. "I think what it means here is that you have to mix the goop with bone dust before adding the eyeballs."

Of course, Amity already knew that. She was top student and she had made up the test to avoid telling Luz that she suspected they might be soulmates. But, unless she wanted to fess up, she would have to keep up the 'confused student' front. Plus, she had to admit that it was nice having Luz teach her things. She was really cute when she was confident. 

"Ohhh, that makes more sense," Amity said. She jotted down a note in her notebook. As she wrote, she looked at the pen in her hand and thought about what Jerbo had said. 

Look Ams, you honestly have two options at this point. You can either put off confirming if the human is your soulmate and keep making up thousands of scenarios and plans in your head, never knowing what will happen and working yourself up. Or you can do this and confirm if it's her and then think of a for-sure plan.

Amity stole a glance at Luz and saw that she was busy doodling borders and color-coding her own notes. She took in a breath and drew a tiny heart on the top of her wrist, just below where Luz's sleeve sat but still hidden by Amity's. Then she quickly moved her pen back to her paper and acted as if she had been writing notes the whole time. She stole a glance at Luz's wrist and saw a heart identical to the one she had just drawn. Luz unconsciously scratched at her wrist without looking down, not knowing that both their lives had just changed forever. Amity stared at the tiny heart in disbelief. How could she be so lucky as to have Luz as a soulmate? The human girl who had waltzed through a portal into the demon realm in search of her book and then changed everything she touched for the better, especially Amity's heart.

Amity must've stared for too long because Luz gave her a weird look. "What's wrong? Do I have a bug or something?" She started down to her wrist, but Amity moved quickly, pointing to the textbook.

"No, sorry. I was just, uh... I was having trouble understanding this part?" Amity lied, a blush tickling at the tips of her pointy ears.  Luz's gaze followed her finger and read the section of text that Amity had pointed to.

"Oh yeah, that is phrased weird. I think you're supposed to carry the X and double the fingernails?" Luz explained unsurely, scrunching her nose in thought. 

"Oh, yeah, thanks." Amity took Luz's distraction to use her sleeve to wipe away the heart that had changed her life. Luz scratched at her wrist again and glanced down at it but nothing was there. 

"I'll be right back, I need to uh, use the bathroom." Amity slid out of the room. She needed a minute to process everything. Before she could even take a breath, though, she felt a hand wrap around her wrist as she was yanked into a room off the hall. The door closed and she turned around with an annoyed glare to face the twins. "What the fu-"

"SO?" Emeria interrupted, her eyes wide and curious. 

"Is she your soulmate?" Edric asked, tilting his head on top of Emeria's head.

Amity felt her face go warm, a feeling she was all too familiar with ever since realizing her crush on Luz after training together at the knee. "How did you even know I'd-"

"We've been watching you all night. Nice try with the hand, by the way!" The older girl smirked with a gleam in her eye. Amity instinctively held her breath, her face turning a bright shade of red. She let out a breath before she passed out.

"I- Well, uh..." She sat down on Emeria's bed and sighed dreamily. "Yeah, she's my soulmate. She doesn't know yet." 

"You should tell her!" Edric encouraged, throwing his arms in the air. "You two are so clearly made for each other!" 

"You sound like Jerbo, right now," Amity pointed out, smirking as a light blush dusted her brother's face. He always got like that when she mentioned either of his boyfriends and she loved to tease him about it despite being even worse when it came to Luz.

"I think you should put a bit more thought into it. You two cuties will be amazing together but the soulmate business is tricky in the Blight household." Emeria scratched her arm behind her back, clearly thinking about how she had to hide her relationship with Viney after seeing the fallout with her brother. It had not been a pretty sight. Vases had been smashed, the yelling filled the house, and Edric had walked out of the situation with several bruises. It was the first time Amity had ever seen her parents hit one of the twins. 

"I don't mean to sound harsh or scare you, Mittens. I just don't want to see you get hurt." Edric subconsciously rubbed his wrist where a permanent bruise in the shape of their mother's hand still lingered. "I just mean that now that you know exactly who your soulmate is, you might want to wait a bit and figure out what you're gonna do. It's tough to keep a relationship hidden and it... It can really put a strain on a relationship."

Amity slouched down and sighed. "I just don't know what to do. I'm so happy that it's Luz. Like, unbelievably happy. Edric when he sees a bat kind of happy. I love her so much and the thought of keeping this to myself when I could share it with her hurts. But I also worry that having to hide our relationship or upsetting mother and father would hurt more. I just don't know what to do."

"To quote one of the most handsome men in the world," Edric straightened his back (The only part of him that was straight) and smirked as he imitated Barcus. "It's your heart and only you can make decisions on its behalf."

"Oh my titan, you're so gay," Emeria teased, lightly punching his arm. 

"Look who's talking," Amity joined in, poking her sister in the ribs.

"Yeah, well welcome to the club, mittens," Edric pulled her close and scruffed up her hair. The three siblings laughed together, and in that moment, Amity felt safe.

"Okay, you better get back to your girlfriend," Emeria teased, letting Amity out of the sibling wrestle/hug. 

"She's not my girlfriend," she hissed before opening the door and walking down the hall.

"YET!" The twins yelled in unison, poking their heads out the door. Amity froze, her face bright red once more, and drew a circle in the air to close the door on them. Then she went back into her room and sat next to Luz again.

"Is everything okay? You were gone for a while," Luz asked, a concerned expression shadowing her face. 

"Yeah, sorry about that. I got kidnapped by the twins," she laughed. "I think we've got the hang of everything, though. Do you wanna watch a movie?"