Chapter Five

Everything around me is blurry

Everything around me is blurry. The music is blaring in the club and in my ears. Pounding takes over my head. It does nothing but make me even more nauseous than before.

Taking a deep breath, I grab my head with a groan. I take a stumble as I get up from the bar stool. With a quick look around, I can't spot my cousin or the kid he brought with us. In fact, I can barely see anything with the spinning room.

A noise leaves me; something like a mix between a gag and another groan. I pound my chest as I slowly make the trek to the exit. The club is too stuffy for me now. Fresh air is the only thing I can think about, the only thing I want right now.

I fall against the wall and it helps me keep my balance. Distantly, I can make out someone calling out to me. I think it's the bartender, but I can't be sure. Like the whole night, I ignore everything around me and continue forward.

Somehow, outside feels worse. The loud cars make my migraine worse as they zoom past and honk their horns. The rancid smell of garbage mixes with cigarette smoke creating one that turns my stomach.

I look left then right before choosing a way to go. I'm unsteady on my feet and everything feels heavy. Reaching out doesn't help since there's nothing to grab onto.

That's when I bump into someone. I hadn't even realized I closed my until I was opening them. The world is spinning around me, worse than before and it's like nothing is making sense. A shiver passes over me before my stomach clenches. I gag once, then twice.

"Hey, are you okay?" The voice that speaks is delicate yet strong at the same time. Soft, but with a firmness. "Are you going to vomit? Come over here."

Whoever this woman is yanks me to the side. With a final gag, I retch harshly. Each action sends my body slightly forward. The putrid stench of my vomit only makes me gag more.

"Jesus, is that you, Chance?" the same lady asks. How she knows my name, I genuinely don't know. But given the situation, I don't really care right now.

"Stranger danger," I mumble. The words come out in a pitiful slur before I vomit once again.

When everything is out of my stomach, my eyes begin to droop. After that session, I'm ready to just knock out. Against my better judgement, I shift until I'm laying on the concrete. The movement makes me realize that the mysterious woman has her hand on my back. It only helps to lull me to sleep fast as she rubs circles on my clothed skin.

"Don't go to sleep here, okay?" she commands, patting me in what I assume is a way to keep me awake.

A reply comes out of my mouth that sounds like a bunch of garbled noises. Exhaling, I settle against the concrete, finding the cool sidewalk somehow comforting. Even with closed eyes, my head is spinning. Dizziness becomes my best friend.

"No, no, no," she speaks again. Her hand disappears from my back, leaving me with disappointment. That's until I feel her grip on my arm and she begins tugging. "I need you to get up. Is there someone I can call?"