Prologue

"So this is the little daughter I've heard so much about? You're finally letting me meet her, then."

The middle aged man laughed and held out his arms to the young girl, who ran towards him and allowed herself to be scooped up into her father's tight hold. He mussed her brown hair and she giggled, fiddling with the beskar talisman that hung around his neck, etched with Mando'a lettering spelling out the name of the Vorte clan.

"Yes, this is my Astéri. My little star." The man said to the other figure occupying the room. The second man was taller, more muscular and darker skinned. He raised an eyebrow at his two guests.

"Ross, the Cuy'val Dar are supposed to give up their old lives in order to come to Kamino and train my troops for battle. Are you sure it was a good idea to bring your daughter into all this?"

"Yes Jango, I'm sure." Ross said affirmatively. "I understand it would have been safer not to bring her, but after my wife died, I just couldn't lose my little girl too."

Jango's face softened in sympathy. "I'm so sorry, I had no idea that Merra had passed away. My condolences, friend."

Ross sighed. "Thank you, Jango. I know you really meant that, and I'm grateful. Merra will always be with us." Ross' face brightened and his blue eyes twinkled. "On another note, I believe I'm not the only one who has made additions to my family. You have a son now, I believe?"

Jango chuckled. "Aside from the thousands downstairs, yes. I believe he's a few months older than your Astéri." He turned towards a side door and raised his voice. "Ad'ika? Come here."

A small boy of about four peeked his head around the doorframe. His dark brown hair fell in wavy locks to the base of his neck, brushing his tan skin. The resemblance between him and Jango was uncanny, in fact, the only difference between them was age.

"This is my son, Boba. He's just turned four."

"Oh my." Ross shook his head, impressed. "The longnecks really pulled it off, didn't they? He's an exact copy."

"Not too exact, I hope. I want Boba to be his own man."

Ross smiles at his old friend. "With a father like you, there was no chance of him ever not being just that."

Jango's face quirked in amusement, his scars crinkling. "Is that supposed to be a compliment?"

Ross winked. "Might be."

The two men were silent for a while, then Ross caught Jango's eye and they both burst out laughing.

"It's good to see you again, Ross. I missed you these first few years." Jango said.

"Well now that I'm here, I should probably start doing my job." Ross replied. "Where are these soldiers of yours that you want me to train up?"

"Just in the next building. What do you say we leave the kids to get to know each other while we inspect the troops?" Jango asked. Ross nodded his affirmation before setting Astéri down on the floor and leading her over to Boba, who was hovering at the edge of the room.

"Hello, son. I'm Ross. Did your father ever mention me? Ross Vorte." Boba nodded, so Ross continued. "This is my daughter, Astéri Vorte. We'll be leaving you alone for a while, so you keep her company, ok? Keep my daughter company."

Boba nodded at Ross, then turned to smile at Astéri as the two older men exited the room. "Hello."

"Um. Hi." Astéri managed.

"Are you a girl? I've never met a girl before. Except for Nala Se, and she doesn't count." Boba said.

Astéri goggled. "You've never met a girl?"

"Nope. I've never had any friends either. I tried to be friends with the rest of the clones, but they grow up too fast. None of them stick around."

"I could be your friend." Astéri volunteered. Boba eyed her suspiciously.

"How do I know you won't grow up too fast like everyone else? Then I'd be left alone again."

"I won't do that. I'll stay being your friend."

"Promise?"

"Promise!"

The two newly anointed friends were silent for a minute, before Astéri piped up. "So what do we do now?"

Boba's face twisted into a devilish smile, which was quickly matched by the girl beside him. "I have an idea..."