Chapter 17 - Before it's Too Late

"Give me the controls."

"No."

"Come on. I know how to fly this thing better than you do."

"And how do you think Kanjiklub will react if I make the landing approach looking like I've been doing it for years?"

Boba fumed quietly from the back seat as Astéri piloted Slave I towards Kanjiklub's main base of operations. She was right, of course. He just didn't like anyone else flying his ship.

Astéri flicked a few switches and reached for the comm system. "I'm going to radio in to Kanjiklub. You might want to keep quiet for a few minutes."

"Why are you radioing in? You could just jam your signal so they don't know you're coming."

"As far as Kanjiklub knows, I still work for them. They have no reason to think I'm not loyal any more. I don't have to try and sneak in."

Boba sat back and listened as Astéri hailed the comm centre at Kanjiklub's base of operations.

"I'll have to scan your ship, but then you're all clear." The voice on the other end came. There was a pause, and then-

"Holy shit! That's Slave I! You lucky son of a bitch, you actually pulled it off!"

Astéri smirked, then leaned in to the radio. "Was there ever any doubt?"

The voice chuckled. "No, ma'am. You always deliver. That's got to be, what? I've lost count of all the successful bounties over the years. And now you've taken out Boba Kriffing Fett, number one himself. I knew you'd do well."

Astéri grinned smugly at Boba, who returned the gesture. In the back of his mind however, he was cursing himself. She was obviously high up the chain in Kanjiklub's hierarchy, he just hadn't realised it.

As Astéri switched off the radio and brought Slave I into a docking bay, Boba leaned forwards. "So, you're one of their best hunters, huh? I'm guessing they wouldn't send just anybody to come and kill me."

Astéri grinned. "Not one of the best. The best. They'll be sorry to lose me when I tell them I'm quitting."

"I'll bet they will."

She snorted, then slipped out of the chair and beckoned to Boba. "Come on. You need to find a place to hide in case they search the ship."

Astéri rummaged through a compartment until she found what she was looking for. "Ah. Here we go." Turning to Boba, she held up a miniature camera and comlink. "Put these on. That way we can be in contact in case anything goes pear-shaped."

"Good plan." Boba linked the comm to his vambrace before reaching across and pinning the camera to Astéri's collar. "So. I guess this is it."

Astéri grasped Boba's hand. "I guess so."

"I believe in you."

God, he had no idea how much that meant to her. With a confident smile, Astéri turned to leave, before a movement from Boba stopped her.

"Wait." Boba grabbed her arm and pulled her back. Confused, Astéri looked at him questioningly.

"I just..." Boba rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "This is a risky move we're making. Either one of us could end up... what I'm trying to say is that one of us might not make it back."

"I know." Astéri took his hand. "But don't worry about me. It's a risk I'm willing to take."

Boba took her other hand. "But in case something goes wrong, in case something happens, there's something that I want to do first. Before it's too late."

Before Astéri knew what was happening, Boba was pulling her towards him, taking off his helmet.

Then he was kissing her.

Astéri froze. Boba's lips were soft and warm against hers, but she was too shocked to respond.

This was something that had been a long time coming, but was she ready for it?

Sending a lack of response, Boba began to pull away, leaving Astéri feeling panicked.

No. Don't stop.

Reaching up, Astéri hooked her fingers behind Boba's neck and pulled him back down, kissing him harder. He wrapped an arm around her waist and she tangled her fingers in Boba's hair, feeling his soft curls against her palm.

For a moment, everything was perfect.

An alarm bleeped aggressively.

Boba pulled out his blaster and shot the speaker. "Bloody alarm. I swear, every time, it goes off when I don't want it to."

"Right, so..."

"Yeah, I mean..."

Both of them trailed into awkward silence, before Astéri burst into giggles. "God, that was a long time coming, wasn't it?"

Boba cleared his throat. "Well, I figured now was as good a time as any."

Astéri lightly punched him on the arm. "Your timing was impeccable." She stood for a minute, before sighing heavily. "I should probably go."

Boba nodded.

"But I'm taking this." Astéri reached over and snatched Boba's helmet. "It can be a spoil of war. I think it will impress my boss, don't you?"

Chuckling, Boba shook his head. "You can make excuses all you like. I think you just like looking at my face."

A sly smile crept over Astéri's face as she batted her eyelashes. "I never said I didn't." She jammed the helmet over her head. "Besides, I think this looks good on me."

As she strode down the exit ramp, she almost missed Boba's reply.

"It looks amazing on you."

_____

Shorter chapter, but...

THE SHIP HAS SAILED! FINALLY!

Sorry to the people who wanted it to come sooner lol 😂 I had originally planned Astéri and Boba to kiss earlier when I wrote out the draft, but putting it in here was the only time it didn't feel rushed lmao. 

This story has ended up falling into two parts: the first part is Astéri and Boba reconciling, and the second part is them taking more bounties and learning to work as a team better. The first part is almost finished, and from chapter 20 onwards, the story will have moved into the second section! Personally I can't wait. 

I hope you guys are liking this story, it means the world to me that I get to bring people happiness through my writing. Thanks for being great readers.

See ya in the next one! 😜