chapter 16 - guardian of the rain

Waking up in a hospital bed was indeed scary, especially if you didn't know why. No clue what had caused you to be there, a blank mind. With your hair sticking to the sweaty pillow like you've been running for miles. He felt hot, his face was full of sweat and a large headache pounded at his forehead. Slowly he squinted his eyes open and blinked a couple of times to focus his vision. He sat up and looked around. Then he just fell back and sighed.

"What did I expect," Kenma fell back into his pillow. He stared at ceiling for awhile, not noticing the person sitting in a chair next to him.

"Hey Kenma," He smiled and waved, "You're so stupid for sleeping in the rain, now you get the luxury of staying in a hospital room."

Kenma was surprised, he didn't even notice Kuroo sitting next to him. Kenma slowly sat up and slouched.

"How are you doing?" Kuroo softened his eyes.

"Could be better." Kenma winced a smile.

"So, uh," Kuroo scratched his head, "How would you like living with me/my father?"

Kenma stared at him, he fiddled with his hands, was he really ready to accept his mother was gone?

No response.

"No pressure, just to put it out there!" Kuroo shook his hands, "It would be a long process," He laughed.

Kenma just stared forwards at the wall. He still had regret in his heart, he denied his mother was gone. His brain forced the fact she was dead to, she was still alive and breathing.

"Hey Kuro, what are you talking about? Why would I need to stay at your house?" Kenma looked at Kuroo with dead-serious eyes.

"Wha- what?" Kuroo titled his head.

Kenma looked back at the wall, "I mean, I get to stay in my mom's room for free." He shrugged, "Anyways, what happened? Why aren't I in my mother's room?"

Kuroo looked at him in disbelief, was he being serious?

"Kenma.." A concerned look spread across his face. "I'm so sorry."

Kenma looked at him with a 'disgusted' face, he crinkled his eyebrows to show he was confused.

"Kenma your mother is dead. She died last night." Kuroo bit his lip, who else would break the news to him? How could he not remember?

"What do you mean?" He looked at him, "Her health is perfectly fine! There's no way she's dead.." Kenma smiled.

Kuroo stared at him, "You're in denial and I get it.. but it ends here. I'm not letting you suffer any longer."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Kenma looked at his hands, raising them up. His hands trembled in fear.

"Kenma stop!" Kuroo raised his voice.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Kenma yelled and lowered his head and holding it down with his hands.

"I'm sorry," Kuroo cried, tears spilt out his eyes. Slowly he got up wrapped his arms around Kenma.

"It's not real!" He screamed.

Kuroo cried with him, his heart hurt watching him sob. Kenma hugged him back and sobbed, letting out every sob he ever held in.

"I'm so sorry.." Kuroo whispered.

-

"Do you think he'll be okay?"