Narissa Jackson

Chapter One - Narissa Jackson

      Today is August 7th, my 18th birthday. Which means I'm finally allowed to leave and go to Camp Half-Blood to meet my little brother Percy. I'm ecstatic that I'm finally allowed to go to Camp Half-Blood, and go into the real world. Not that this was my first time leaving the village though, I may or may not have snuck out with my friends a few times to go to a club. I was packing my stuff when Leucothia came in. Leucothia is a beautiful sea nymph, also the person who raised me, her blonde hair was pulled up into a messy bun, her eyes were red and puffy from crying. I pulled my mom into my arms giving her a hug, patting her back, "Mama don't worry, I won't be gone forever. I promise to call and text everyday okay?" I reassured her.  

      Leucothia stood up, sniffling, "You better, otherwise I will come to Camp Half-Blood myself and drag you home you hear me?" She cupped her hand on my cheek, stroking my cheek with her thumb. "Even though I may not have given birth to you, but you will always be my child."

     "Yes, Mama I hear you. And you will always be my mother whether or not you are the one who gave birth to me." I put my hand over hers holding it. Leucothia smiled she took a deep breath and composed herself.

     "I have a surprise for you my raindrop." Leucothia smiled and let go of my cheek. "But first finish your packing, then come downstairs."

     "Okay, I will be down in a minute." I said as Leucothia walked out of the room she stopped at the doorway and said, "You know I will always love you my raindrop."

    "I will always love you too Mama." I blew her a kiss and started packing again. When I finished, I picked up my bags and headed downstairs. Dropping the bags at the end of the steps, I went into the kitchen. There on the table was a birthday cake with the words 'Happy Birthday' written in blue frosting and next to it a small wooden box with a trident engraved on it. Leucothia picked up the box and handed it to me, "Happy Birthday, raindrop." I pulled Leucothia into another hug.

     "Thank you so much, Mama!"

     "Of course, now open the box." I released Leucothia from the hug. Picked up the wooden box and opened it. Inside contained a necklace, a silver rope chain with a trident pendant attached to it.

     "Oh, it's lovely Mama! Thank you!" I took it out of the box and unclasped the latch, trying to clasp it around my neck.

     "Here let me help you," Leucothia offered, I handed Leucothia the necklace and moved my hair away from my neck so the clasp won't snag my hair. Leucothia placed the necklace around my neck and clasped it together. "There all done."

     "Thanks." I stroked the pendant, it fit perfectly in the hollow of my collarbone.

     "You're welcome and don't thank me this was from your father," Leucothia said.

     "My dad?" I arched an eyebrow. She doesn't usually mention him

     "Yes, your father left it in my care for safekeeping until you were ready to wear it. Now this necklace is special, with it you can summon your father's trident."

     "Really? How?"

      "Say this incantation; Patéra, theós ton thalassón. Dóse mou ti dýnamí sou. It means Father, God of the Seas. Give me your strength in greek. Then detach the pendant from the chain and it will materialize into his trident." Leucothia instructed. I grinned, this was going to be fun to use. "Now remember this isn't a plaything and only use it when you absolutely need to." She instructed.

      I let out a disappointed sigh, "Fine."

       "Good girl," She gave me a pat on the head, I gave her a look in annoyance I hated when she did that. She only smiled. "Also, do you have your car keys?"

      I pulled out my car keys out of my pocket, "Yes they're right here." Leucothia gave a sad grin, her eyes beginning to tear up again. "Mama, please stop crying. It's not like I'm not going off to war or anything. I'll be fine."

      "I know it's just hard seeing you all grown up. You know you were a difficult child to raise. Always doing things you shouldn't do, I felt myself aging because of you," Leucothia teased. I laughed.

     "Well you still did a wonderful job at doing so, and you look radiant. Now I must go, I love you. Goodbye." I picked up my bags, Leucothia gave me one last kiss on my forehead. Then I walked out of the door and hopped into my car and drove out of the village heading to Camp Half-blood.