Chapter 10: 1 Day to the Wedding: The Last Night

"Kakashi-senpai?" Yamato halted and lowered his hand.

"The switch?"

"What?" His heart pounded heavily in his chest. What the hell was Kakashi doing there? Did he come in through the window again?

"The light switch, where is it?" Kakashi said, dragging his feet towards him — socks on only by the sounds of it. "Is it here?"

"Right here." Yamato moved forward. "It's ok, I'll get it."

Yamato patted the wall vaguely where the switch should be, but instead of touching it, his fingertips met Kakashi's hand as he was about to turn on the lights. Shit... blood rushed to his cheeks, as if the surprise of his senpai creeping into his apartment again wasn't enough. Considering everything that they had already done, hands touching shouldn't cause that much of a reaction, but it did, no matter how subtle it brushed over Kakashi's skin.

Neither of them moved, nor did the lights come on. They stood in the dark, long enough for Yamato to be sure the drumming of his heart was either being heard outside his chest or felt through the tips of his fingers.

"Your hand's cold," Kakashi said, turning up his palm and closing Yamato's fingers into his hand.

"I was outside just now."

The switch seemed completely forgotten. There was a long pause where their hands remained as they were, a moment that would've otherwise been undeniably awkward had those lights been on. Yamato didn't need this, he didn't deserve this headache, not tonight.

"So...," he said, his cold fingers robbing Kakashi's hand of its warmth. "What can I help you with, senpai?" He tried to be professional with the man that had, yet again, broken into his apartment in the middle of the night. "Surely you didn't come all the way here to check the temperature of my fingertips."

To think he had been mopping only minutes ago about not spending time with him before the wedding, reminiscing about the nights the had together and how sad everything in his life appeared to me. And now... he couldn't make up his mind if he wanted him gone or if he should kiss him. Amidst the chaos in his mind, he tried hard to sound cool about this whole hand-on-hand situation while his heart raced faster that his mind could foresee all that the possibilities if Kakashi-senpai decided to linger.

"I'd like your opinion on something."

"My opinion?" Yamato hoped that was just that, one question about one thing and then he would be on his way. He didn't even know why he wanted him gone so fast, maybe he didn't trust himself to remain honest about not letting this go further until that talk too place. Judging by Kakashi's tone, however, he was there to ask him to do some last minute task he couldn't be bothered doing by himself. Damn it. What about his need for sulking in peace? He didn't want to do that next to the one person responsible for making he feel sulky, or worse... if he ended up not sulking at all. Kakashi had that thing about him, this charm Yamato could never resist. The truth was that he would rather have this, this uncertain moment and whatever consequences came from it,... he would take it over being alone without him.

Kakashi's thumb rubbed his fingers gently. "Do you have the time?"

"I was about to go out."

"What for?"

To try and stop thinking about you in this place. "Fresh air."

"Where were you going?"

"I didn't have time to decide because you broke in."

"The window was open."

"Open windows aren't invitations to come in, senpai."

"Aren't they?"