vi. happy graduation

SIX,     HAPPY GRADUATION

        THE SUN BEAT down on the little girl as she laid exhausted on the grass outside of her home

        THE SUN BEAT down on the little girl as she laid exhausted on the grass outside of her home. Sweat dripped from her forehead, heavy pants left her mouth, and her heart was going faster than usual. One would think she'd been running from a murderer but oh no, this was way worse in Fleur's opinion. Hours and hours spent learning and practicing how to use a knife during hand-to-hand combat for almost a week now. Hours she could've spent doing absolutely nothing.

However, Dean insisted that this would be helpful. Maybe not now but in the future when someday she'd have to fight someone bigger and stronger than herself. So Fleur finally gave in and let her father teach her how to play dirty and win against her opponent, foe, enemy.

At first, none of it made sense. Everything he said was confusing especially when he used big words to try to explain the different techniques to her. It bothered Fleur that she wasn't understanding, so much that she just quit. Completely gave up in the middle of him talking. But of course, she never really quits at anything. She grows frustrated, yes, and throws a minor tantrum- but never does she quit. This is why Dean didn't believe that she was tired so early in his lesson. He raised her for god sake.

He started to talk about the body's weak points like the eyes, throat, nose, and so on. This is when the little girl's ears perked at the intriguing information her father had laid out for her, if she could learn how to use it to her advantage then she would be unbeatable, right?- she thought.  

"Fleur, are you ready to try again? And this time actually aim for my arm, yeah? And remember the element of surprise is your best friend." He says in a taunting manner to provoke her.

"Yeah yeah." She replies, her tiny hand grabbing the fake sharp dagger from him. It had a wooden haft with two silver edges that could easily cut through the skin if it were real.

"Now listen up because this part is very important if you want to beat your attacker. It doesn't matter if you see it coming or not, it only matters of your reaction time- you'll always win." He told his daughter who appeared to be listening attentively or was she? Dean didn't give Fleur a warning before he swung at her with a dagger of his own, the sharp object grazed the side of her neck as she took a step back swiftly in shock.